Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 series mods and repairs FAQ

Well you sound more lucky than me to be honest. A 30 ton press, and my bottle jack wasn't enough to budge the inner or outer sleeves. But like I said, as soon as I managed to make one slit on the outer sleeve, I hung the arm over my oak stump, used a old chisel and hit it out. Prior I was hammering on a unstable bench and a lot of the force wasn't applying to the bush itself. Working on a solid piece of material like my tree stump meant I could get a good impact to initially move it. First one took like half hour to do, last one about 5 minutes.

Whiteline bushes are good stuff. If you pop them in the freezer for couple hours prior to pressing them in, they'll go in very easy with a regular vice. Also do not apply grease on the outer sleeve, just the inner one. And have the inner sleeve in prior to pushing the main bush in place. If you're using a Vice, then use a pair of channel locks on the outer portion of the sleeve so you're pressing on the metal and not the rubber itself.

Been mr diy today with the daughter in law moving house so i have only got the old bushes out of the other lower arm and they did prove a little more stubborn . What i'm doing is pressing the inner sleeve out which folds and tears the rubber leaving a fair bit behind . The jack ran out of steam on today's one so i heated the rubber with a cheap plumbers blow torch to make it more pliable allowing it to fold and tear .

It would be nice to get some Zinga cold galvanize between the arm and the bush but i'm guessing it won't be that easy to press in ?

I'm not in a rush because i can't get a ball joint splitter fork until Monday so tomorrow i will have a go at getting the upper ball joint out of the arm with a hammer .

Well I pained up my arms before pressing in the bush and it didn't make it too tough! The new bushes are just like OEM where they are a slight chamfer so you'll be able to get half the bush in with ease, and then you'll need a clamp/vice to squeeze it in the rest of the way.

Must admit i was absolutely dreading trying to get the upper ball joint out but once i suppressed the neanderthal within and thought about it , it came out with a couple of girly taps with a little hammer .

Upper ball joint removal 001.JPG

Upper ball joint removal 003.JPG

The jack wouldn't fit between the upper arms which was a nuisance so i drilled out some rubber and hit the inner sleeve with the welder a few times breaking the hold between rubber and metal which allowed me to hammer it out .

I cut the end off the outer sleeve just because its easy with a grinder and started again with the hacksaw . Note there is a hole in the upper arms which makes it easier to crease cut and remove the outer sleeve.

upper arm 001.JPG

upper arm 002.JPG

upper arm 003.JPG

I was going to put this in the maintenance thread but decided i will never find it if i sell the truck and need evidence of work done so -

painted with Zinga 001.JPG
painted with Zinga 002.JPG
painted with Zinga 004.JPG
painted with Zinga 003.JPG

That's 1 litre Ominicote and 2kg Zinga for size comparison which is something i couldn't find before purchase .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Going for a Hunter front end caster, camber and toe alignment tomorrow on my 95 (2” lift), after new LCA bushes (10 ton bottle jack, lots of heat). Just wondering, has anyone found any benefit from deviating from the standard specs in the manual ?

If i could find someone who actually knew how to think beyond "the computer says" i would be asking them if they could max out the camber first then use all their other tricks to brings the wheels back into alignment .

It's not my idea its something Steven mentioned while working on Fiery many moons ago , the Suzuki Vitera guys do something similar to move the wheels out and forward making more room for rubber .

Search the forum for the Hagen mod , i think that's what it was called ?

Found it , note Suzuki doesn't have adjusters like us http://www.bits4vits.co.uk/B17VTS/hagen.html

Last edited:
Thanks very much Shayne, I'll have a read of that. Apart from the lift, I'm pretty standard with wheel and tyre size (BFG ATs). Like you, I put Whitelines in, feels better already, the old ones were well past their best.

I haven't even driven mine yet it needs an mot and remembering what happened when i fitted new discs on my other truck (brakes stuck on) i won't just chance just a nip around the block . The handbrake will fail but i'm hoping the parts will arrive in the next half hour so i can go out and play with my spanners in the rain .

anybody got a copy of the "getting the best from your hand brake" get a fatal error message when i try to view it , fancy overhauling coz it is hopeless at the moment 97 swb manual 90

That's strange. So am I. Let me look into it. There won't be a copy of a thread though David. And I wrote the guide directly on the website. It was there earlier in the week I know and I've certainly not moved it.

After doing an oil change on the PradoJ95 , how long should I wait to see the correct level on the dipstick ?

Back