Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alarming experience (grrrr!!)

The only way to seal the screen IMHO is to remove it, clean the rubber and re seal and refit it. Treat any rust you find underneath while it's out.

I've used this stuff which so far has been 100% effective and stays flexible.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/221384238072

Last edited:
CHEERS !! I got multi connectors apart in the foot wells, they were very wet. I dried everything off with a airline and now got a electric heater running, fingers crossed it will dry out and work again !!!!!
I cant believe how wet it has got in there, the rear carpets are also damp in the rear, it was only parked up a few days, british weather eh !!!
I will get some sealant which you gave me link for, never changed a screen before, I will look on youtube and go from there lol

I cured my leaking screen with WD 40. I waited for a hot dry day and used WD 40 along all the seams internally and externally. This prevents capillary action drawing water in. If I had to do it again I would use a syringe and engine oil. WD 40 spray was difficult to get off the glass.

TBH, removing and reinstalling the screen isn't difficult if your gentle but firm with it and release the rubber all the way round. Try and do it without removing the chrome bits if you can as these do not survive being removed anything other than with kid gloves by prising the rubber from around them. Pull them out and you may well end up binning them and they are MEGA expensive.

Sounds from your other post that the water may be from pressure washing so hold fire on the screen until you prove if it is leaking.

My screen doesn't have the chrome trim, just the flat rubber seal and it's a bonded screen.

I've seen bonded screens on the later 80's. Presumably you could bond the screen of an early 80 as the glass and body are the same?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm not so sure. A bonded screen is bonded to the bodywork as opposed to being held in by a rubber seal and maybe some mastic. Apparently bonded screens were brought about due to old type screens popping out if the airbag(s) went off.

Ah I thought the 80 screens like yours were just glued in with the same profile rubber. If properly bonded the body shell would have to be different with a much wider rebate. My 80 has 1 airbag but not a bonded screen. Perhaps they modified the design then but I think bonded screens came out in general a long time before air bags. They are stronger and more reliable.
I "bonded" my back one in with polyurethane sealer because it constantly leaked.

Back