Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bloody Rain! Will it Ever Stop?

stuzbot

This one's for all the other poor suckers like myself who don't have the undreamt of luxury of a garage, much less a workshop to tinker in.

I don't know if it's the same all over the country––anecdotally, I've heard similar grumblings from mates the length of the land––but, up here in the grim north, it has barely stopped raining for months. We've literally had I think 3 or 4 days this entire year, where it's not rained at some point through the day. And most of the rest of the time, it's rained for most of the day.

After my LBJs arrived, it took me about a week and a half to fit the damned things. I got one day that started off promisingly and then [as is ever the case], as soon as I dragged my tools down to the motor, jacked it up and took the wheel off, the heavens opened and I had to shove everything back together again and run for cover.

After that, I waited 3 or 4 days before I got the next dry morning and I managed to get one side done, before "rain stopped play" yet again. Fast forward another week before I was able to get out, during a break in the interminable downpour and get the other side sorted.

For comparison; when I did the LBJs on my Collie, a few year's back, it was a lovely summer's day and the job was all done, both sides in a couple of hours. Blimey!––I never thought, one day, I'd be reminiscing fondly about the great weather I used to enjoy back in Manchester!

I've also found it's quite expensive being kept indoors by the rain. I end up vicariously tinkering by watching YouTube videos of other people wrestling with their motors. This passes some of the time, but has the unwanted side effect of making me realise just how much more efficiently I could work, if I only had j-u-s-t that one more tool, "like wot that guy in that video just used".

And thanks to Amazon and their accursed Prime delivery, the damned thing's on the doorstep before I've even had time for the buyer's remorse to kick in.

We've had wet periods before but one thing that really gets up my pipe is that all this excess water is going to waste and some of the various water authorities have said they cannot guarantee there won't be a hosepipe ban if we get a long dry spell in Summer. They were discussing this a couple of weeks back on some TV program and the lack of water storage came up. I can't remember exactly how many new reservoirs they said we needed but it was in the teens and they're building 3.

It did stop , I remember because Another brick in the Wall was number one and Mad Max premiered .

It's the same up here in the Edinburgh area - even the dry days have rain at some point.
Will I get the grass cut before it gets to waist height ?
The '100' needs welding underneath which I have to do outside owing to the size of the truck. Not enough dry weather yet !
Bob.

When I bought my Surf, back at the tail end of Feb, with the MOT not due til June, it felt like aeons of time to get loads of jobs done on it. That was pretty much two full months ago and, as I said up top, I've had literally about 4 or 5 days, in that time, where I've actually got to do any work on it.

Since this isn't my daily driver, i was determined not to end up in that old familiar routine of having to work on the motor in the pissing rain, because I needed it back on the road for the next day. But if this monsoon season keeps up, I can see myself falling into that trap again. Just to get the bugger prepped in time for the MOT.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Same here Stu, loads of jobs, loads of rain.
I've got one job on the 120 that has water ingress, bottom moulding each side of rear cargo area.
Got the parts from Amayama and windows still taped up
Not even thinking about removing glass yet.

I can't remember exactly how many new reservoirs they said we needed but it was in the teens and they're building 3

They obviously don't know of a new and fantastic technology called a well . Some fun facts here -

Back