Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On the road again

Rodger

This Sunday we leave for the a visit to the UK in the 40.
I guess we are cheating a bit because the first leg is only to Santander a mere 1300 kilometres over two days.
From Plymouth we have twelve days before returning from Portsmouth but six of them see us at an event and the rest of the time is with friends and family.
On our return we going to spend a few days seeing some of the sights in the north of Spain and meander our way back to Andalucia
with the Spanish and UK mileage we reckon this will be a trip of around 2500 miles for the old girl, who will be 49 years old in September.

Regards,

Rodger

Rodger can I ask what event are you visiting

Over the last couple of years up to last November I had been editing, photo-editing and involved in the design of a book called The Automotive Alchemist which is the life story of Andy Saunders who is Britain's best vehicle customiser - sometimes referred to as The British Barris. It is published by Dalton Watson with 60 of Andy's builds in it and we launched it, successfully, at the NEC show but the event we are attending, which includes promotion of the book, is the NSRA's (National Street Rod Association) SuperNationals at Old Warden on the Shuttleworth Estate, Biggleswade. Although the event is on for four days, it is only open to the public on the Sunday (13th). (£9 adults £4 under 17s) so if you fancy a day out.....
So, as far as I am aware, we will be the only Land Cruiser there but I've been involved with hot rods, custom cars and bikes since the '70s and this is that culture's biggest event of the year.
Getting a hot rod or a custom registered in Spain would be almost impossible and anyway our street is so narrow I have to reverse the 40 up it with about two inches each side spare so most other vehicles are too wide.

Sorry it's not an LC event but there are some great vehicles on show in beautiful surroundings and things to do for the youngsters.

Rodger

It's a really nice down to earth estate/museum. Bon voyage.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds an amazing trip, so far I've done 2 approx 25 mile trips in mine to bed new brakes in, can't wait to do longer runs but I have found the old H engine is not keen on inclines!!

Have fun.

This is quite close to us... Might see you there

Our Andalucia-UK trip is complete - 2332 miles at 28.3mpg and that includes some fairly stiff climbs all on tarmac. Starting from our village we climb 1400 metres (4593 feet), the pass is 2000 metres, and on the return got feed up with the autovia and detoured which started with an 800 metre (2624 feet) over 5 miles and finished with the climb back over the pass which is 1700 metres from the northern side (5577 feet) over 13 kilometres before the downhill to home. There were others of course. The 40 used a quarter of a litre of oil and I had to top the transfer case up. The 40 ran faultlessly but then we do have an early 60 series 2H, 5spd box and 60 series axles with modified steering.

We visited Lerma, Segovia [Roman aqueduct], Avila [2.5kns walled city] and Sad Hill (last scene in Good, Bad and the Ugly) all beautiful and interesting but best was the little village in the hills near Jaen where we stopped for lunch. we parked in the town square and someone in the cafe spotted the truck and several of the locals were asking about it and when we left they crowded the windows or stood outside to watch us go.

IMG_20230821_113826.jpg
IMG_20230822_121404_1.jpg

IMG_20230823_130009_1.jpg

IMG_20230821_113826.jpg
IMG_20230822_121404_1.jpg
IMG_20230823_130009_1.jpg

Rodger

This Sunday we leave for the a visit to the UK in the 40.
I guess we are cheating a bit because the first leg is only to Santander a mere 1300 kilometres over two days.
From Plymouth we have twelve days before returning from Portsmouth but six of them see us at an event and the rest of the time is with friends and family.
On our return we going to spend a few days seeing some of the sights in the north of Spain and meander our way back to Andalucia
with the Spanish and UK mileage we reckon this will be a trip of around 2500 miles for the old girl, who will be 49 years old in September.

Regards,

Rodger
Sounds exciting. Planning our maiden voyage this weekend to la Calera outside Bogota.

Attachments

• 20230602_130959.jpg
    20230602_130959.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 5
Back