Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Power problems

Vix

Country Flag
uk
Hi all! After a lot of years of dreaming, we picked up our first 80 series yesterday. We are a little underwhelmed by the power though, so we think we could have an issue to sort. Would really appreciate your thoughts and help. We didn’t expect it to be a rocket, but expected it to pull a bit better, especially on hills on the dual carriage way etc. We want to use it for towing and we don’t think it would be up to it as it is.
It’s a 1991, 4.2 TD. There seems to be suction/vacuum when you take the fuel cap off so thinking maybe a new fuel cap? But any other ideas or things to do/try would be great. Thanks Victoria

Is it an auto.... ?
It's a heavy vehicle and is only 156 odd HP..... not a huge amount and delivered in a lazy way .
Give it a service....change air and fuel filters , clean the suction filter in the fuel tank.... depending on mileage it may respond to recon injectors and a good inlet clean....
So many variables TBH but basic service is a good start .
It will never give you the same feel of power as a modern common rail vehicle but will last twice as long at least

Reactions: Vix
I think the tank has a vent pipe (24v has) so if there is sucking when the filler cap is removed the vent pipe might be blocked. Try driving without the filler cap on.

I think the tank has a vent pipe (24v has) so if there is sucking when the filler cap is removed the vent pipe might be blocked. Try driving without the filler cap on.
Thank you. Will try that tomorrow.

Is it an auto.... ?
It's a heavy vehicle and is only 156 odd HP..... not a huge amount and delivered in a lazy way .
Give it a service....change air and fuel filters , clean the suction filter in the fuel tank.... depending on mileage it may respond to recon injectors and a good inlet clean....
So many variables TBH but basic service is a good start .
It will never give you the same feel of power as a modern common rail vehicle but will last twice as long at least
yes it’s an auto. Will make a start going through the basics you’ve mentioned.

as mentioned start by base lining the 80. the suction is normal when removing the cap.

after base lining the vehicle i would give it a couple of weeks of "enthusiastic" driving and then make a decision. if it has been used infrequently or driven in a town or city for extended periods, the old cobwebs may need blowing out..

if nothing changes there are plenty of options for more go.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As chapel gate has said, these old diesels dislike frequent short town journeys even less than the latest Euro 6 stuff and can certainly benefit from an Italian tune. At least we don't have DPF's to worry about.

As chapel gate has said, these old diesels dislike frequent short town journeys even less than the latest Euro 6 stuff and can certainly benefit from an Italian tune. At least we don't have DPF's to worry about.
Ahhhh ok. Thank you, this makes sense! This one hasn’t been used much other than for short city journeys over the last few years so maybe that’s why. It just needs bringing back to work.
Yes DPFs etc have been such a pain for us with past vehicles hence the change.

as mentioned start by base lining the 80. the suction is normal when removing the cap.

after base lining the vehicle i would give it a couple of weeks of "enthusiastic" driving and then make a decision. if it has been used infrequently or driven in a town or city for extended periods, the old cobwebs may need blowing out..

if nothing changes there are plenty of options for more go.
Ok thanks! That’s helpful. We will spend the next few weeks going through all those bits. We are actually looking forward to doing that and getting to know everything. Also interested in finding out more about your fuel pin or cheaper tuning options, so please let us know when you can. Thanks

yes, they are are a joy to work on. everything is easy to get at and simple.
stupidly reliable, easy to maintain and diagnose if any problems do arise. unless you are over power hungry, excellent performance can be achieved.

has ticked all of my boxes for the last 18 years anyway..

Mine was dog slow and very underpowered when I first got it. Getting the injectors rebuilt transformed it to much more normal levels or drive-ability.

But also had a very thorough service too as it didnt really come with a lot of history.

Back