Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replace alternator on my 4.2l Diesel

Bjørn Olav Bakka

Country Flag
norway
I have problems with my charging and am going to replace the alternator.
Anybody have tips of where to get a new - original or maybe not?
And how to replace - it is in a very non-accessible place on my Diesel.
What to remove in order to being able to replace the alternator.

Original, yes. They last longer. Amayama, Partsouq, ...
The alternator can easily be made very accessible, just lift the engine out o_O

Not. The trick is to move the AC compressor: 4 bolts and swing it away without disconnecting anything from it (flexible hoses).
1- The two intake pipes (intercooler pipes) take 5 min.
2- The air filter box 7 min,
3- and then 3 min for the AC.

I had a faulty alternator at about 150 k km. Took it out and found it was a diode. Got a new diode bridge from local dealer and it's been running over 150 k km since then.

Edit: Typical symptoms for faulty diode is that the voltage does go up when you run the engine, but not quite enough to charge properly, so the charge level goes down over time.

Last edited:
Thanks for description - seems feasible also for me as a non-mechanic, but used to change tires, brakes and other small/medium complexity parts :)

Was this the new diode bridge: https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=27357-17230 ?

I think it may be the brushes only - but may also be the diodes - and I think replacing with the above fixes both issues.

When mine failed after 330 000km, I took it to a shop that rebuilds Denso products. I don't remember the parts they changed.

The alternator tensioner has 2 bolts that take few minutes to figure out how the tension work.

At this point, while you there, replace the 2 alternator belts.

The alternator also has a pivot that is underneath the alternator with a bolt that should be loosened as well. Care should be taken with the tensioner bolt, I snapped mine because I didn’t loosen the lock bolt first.

Attachments

• IMG_0792.png
    IMG_0792.png
    575.1 KB · Views: 5
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The alternator also has a pivot that is underneath the alternator with a bolt that should be loosened as well. Care should be taken with the tensioner bolt, I snapped mine because I didn’t loosen the lock bolt first.
Sorry, I just saw that this thread is for the 100 series, apologies to all.

Don't forget to buy a genuine set of belts when do this job.... once upon a time I bought a set of non gen belts and they were thinner than the worn out oem one's that I was changing out!..

They cost a little more but they last 3 times longer! :thumbup:

Back