Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Turbo & injection pump upgrade

Andy

Supporter
Country Flag
england
well, the old girl is back up and running tonight

I have over the last couple of weeks replaced the turbo with a new green wheel Gturbo from aus, fitting that was pretty straight forward, new exhaust manifold studs made that easier too, a word of advice though is to fit the new inlet pipe to the turbo before bolting the turbo in place, it’s a bloody tight fit to stretch it on!

Although I already had a 3" stainless exhaust, the connection flange to the turbo was the original (21/2"?), so I made up a 3" outlet flange and modified the downpipe & bends to suit.
also gave me the opportunity to clear out some of the Egyptian desert sand & Russian mud from various nooks & crannies on that side of the engIne bay.

then thought I should get the injection pump & injectors refurbished, so I removed the pump & injectors and sent them off to diesel bob for the once over, while waiting for him to work his magic, and the truck was in bits, I fitted a new water pump, flushed through the cooling system and cleaned about 1/2 a ton of dirt, sand, mud & muck from the radiator, a/c rad, intercooler & auto box cooler fins, even though it didn’t run hot, it was amazing the muck I got out with the airline.

So back comes the pump, looking like a brand new one, had been speaking with diesel bob while he had it, and he completely rebuilt it, replaced numerous bits of its innards including a piston, he modified the fuel pin & upgraded the fueling etc to take into account the other engine / turbo mods, he was extremely thorough & wouldn’t send it back out to me until he was 100% happy with pressures etc etc.
He also refurbished the injectors.
fitted the pump & injectors today and spent ages with the dial gauge & Toyota SST to ensure the pump timing was spot on, fitted the injectors & reconnected all the pipes, vacuum & fuel pipes etc, on went a new cam belt & fuel filter, a check over that the intercooler, water & fuel pipes were tight and the moment of truth, time to fire her up. Reconnected the batteries and pumped through the fuel, and with some trepidation turned the key with no 1 injector union cracked open.
bingo , after about 5 seconds of turning over she fired, tightened the injector union & let her tick over for a minute before revving up a bit.

Absolutely gobsmacked at how smooth & quiet it was running.

let her warm up and didn’t even get an airlock on the heater pipes! started up a few times and called it a day with a smile on my face.

tomorrow will just tidy up and refix sone pipes & wiring, adjust the tick over a bit, have a good clear up and take her for a test run and adjust the boost to around 22 psi while checking the egt’s etc.
Still can’t believe how smooth & quiet it sounds, prIor to this work I had no issues with starting, running etc, I just fancied doing it, the truck has only done around 200,000 miles, with some tough expeditions under its belt so thought it would benefit.

Will report back after I’ve given it a test run tomorrow, but as I said, so far Ive got a big grin on my face

Andy

Amazing you will be the one to keep up with now

Goes like a bomb, not literally, but the drive has been transformed, sounds so sweet, picks up like it never has before, money & time well spent. Just got the underbody guards to put back on and give it a good clean up now.
will try and get a video sorted

Andy

You can bring all that crud back to sibertoft this year then. Wouldn't mind beting a fair bit of it was from your 2 hrs wallowing in that hole. There's a shower this year so you can give it another go.....

Don’t think so Gav! maybe you could try it in your off roader……….. I’ve got a new winch rope to pull you out!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don’t think so Gav! maybe you could try it in your off roader……….. I’ve got a new winch rope to pull you out!
Where did you get your winch rope from? Thinking my 1998 winch cable could probably do with being replaced.

Not sure how I managed to upload the videos above, not very good & I’ll try for some better ones if these work!
you can see the boost up to 20psi pretty quickly, it revs much quicker & on a steep hill , under load egt’s hit 700c

Nice one Andy.
Even your oil pressure gauge seems to work. Mine has struggled to get past the first mark since I bought it 14 years ago.

I tend to take more notice of this one!
IMG_5551.jpeg

I tend to take more notice of this one!
The factory one is just a guessing gauge.

I have an ATF gauge too, rarely even makes it on to the scale unless I'm heading up long inclines.

I have an ATF gauge too, rarely even makes it on to the scale unless I'm heading up long inclines.
Where do you have your sender fitted? mines on the ‘hot ‘ outlet close to the auto box, I do have additional coolers for the atf, as sometimes it does get hot when the auto box is not ‘locked up’, loaded up & on long inclines.
When I was doing a lot of desert stuff it was when clawing through soft sand for extended periods, so I fitted an wholesales autos valve body & manual lock up,switch
flicking the switch you can watch the atf temp drop!

You might find the ATF temps run a lot hotter with that extra power Andy. Wholesale used to offer uprated torque converters with a lower stall speed, to suit uprated power outputs. Makes a very noticeable difference to driveability as well, and a worthwhile upgrade imo if they still do them.

Where do you have your sender fitted? mines on the ‘hot ‘ outlet close to the auto box....
Mine is in the drain plug which is probably not the best place, it gives me an idea though.

I do have additional coolers for the atf, as sometimes it does get hot when the auto box is not ‘locked up’, loaded up & on long inclines.
When I was doing a lot of desert stuff it was when clawing through soft sand for extended periods, so I fitted an wholesales autos valve body & manual lock up,switch
flicking the switch you can watch the atf temp drop!
I used to suffer from from the ATF temp rising on our Morocco trips when climbing long steep hills/mountains. So I fitted one of these and have never seen the light on since. I also fitted a manually operated cooling fan to the cooler which I switch on when climbing the hills.

Mine is the early box that has no electronics.

Back