Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The General Grabber AT?????

Dark Dude

I found these on ebay and was wondering what the rest of the LC100 community thought of them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x4-275-65...05246?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item43c4a12a1e

I must admit that I've always been partial to a set of BFG's AT's. I used them on my Mk1 Range Rover and on my Mk2 Frontera and found them to be a dependable and reliable set of boots. Alas the Grabber are a whole heap cheaper than the BFG's but everything comes at a price.....

What say you all?

JC

Do a search on the grabber AT2's - there not much bad said about them. I had them on the 120 for, IIRC, about 90k miles and they still had about 30% tread on them. For what you pay they are a very very good tyre.

Had AT2s on the Colorado, very good indeed. The EU-friendly ATs are almost as competent, and a little quieter with it.

Just watch that auction JC, says he's only got 2 off them... You'll be needing 4, minimum... :icon-wink:

Look at his 'other items' and there are 13 results for GENERAL GRABBER AT2 TYRES, various sizes though.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have had both BFGs and AT2s and find very little difference in performance, but the AT2s have lasted dramatically longer. AT2s are also are less prone to being carved up by sharp flints on my N Africa trips. I run 285/75R16 and unfortunately you can't source these in the UK now so I have to import from Germany.

If that price is for four I'd say they are a BARGIN at that money. 18s aren't cheap.

Well I'm not in the circle of trust as a member of the LC 100 community, but I've had GGAT2s on my 80 for a long time and I rate them highly. They are hard wearing and grip as well as I would expect in a variety of conditions. Summer off-roading on them is fine and on stone tracks or loose, they are great.

My only word of warning would be the sidewalls which are a bit weak and susceptible to rock damage when on narrow rutted tracks.

That's it, carpe diem, when the price is right, which in this ad it sure is :thumbup:

Last edited:
Karl

I think you're right. Nothing comes close at that price. Alas, first things, first. Sensors!

Well yesterday I finally fitted my brand new General Grabbers AT2 onto the set of reconditioned Mr T 18" alloys that I had sourced from Gav Peter and so far so good. Paid £750 for five! What a sweet deal. Now I shouldn't need to look at them for the next 10 years. Been thinking about using spacers to further tighten up the steering but I'm going to give it a bit of time before I make up my mind. One thing of note, the road noise generated by these AT's is no worse that the 16" Road Biased tyres that they have replaced. All in all I'm quite happy with my choice of new tyres.........

You know we won't believe you unless you post a pic (or two). :whistle:

Chadr

Your wish is my command............. IMG_0416.JPG

You know we won't believe you unless you post a pic (or two). :whistle:

Last edited:
CHUNKY !

Love the AT2 and BFGs for their square edges :icon-cool:

Latest pics of Hanna at Southgate wearing her new alloys, boots ans centre caps.

Copy_IMG_0430.jpg

Please tell me is retreading of tyres done very often in the UK.In nz I had trucks and used to retread up to 5 times.

Yes, happens regularly with HGV and truck tyres. Reasonably popular with 4x4s, but generally for cheaper end of the market or for extreme offroad knobblies.

Very rare for normal road tyres though, either for car or 4x4 - partly due to lack of consumer trust, issues with longevity and build, plus cheap Chinese imports pretty much killed the market.

Back