Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not LC, but sweet

clivehorridge

Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
I was down in the village on Saturday buying veggies and BBQ pork and stuff as you do, and spotted this little old treasure across the road...

It's an ARO M461 military 4x4, in production between 1957 and 1975. Not the toughest as 4x4s go, but I thought it very sweet and beautifully restored. Even the shovel, pick and Gerry cans were original.

View attachment 15022

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    983.7 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    914.9 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    954.1 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,010.3 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    942 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
That looks brand like brand new! I saw a WW2 Willys jeep up at Loch Lomond a couple of years back in much the same condition, completely original right down to the axe, shovel, jerry cans, radio, the lot! Those things in such condition fetch big money now if you can find one. Whenever I see one it reminds me of M.A.S.H from the '70's.

Yep, true enough.

This one is a show model now but it gets driven 2 or 3 times a week to keep the oils circulating. I put my head under and the whole thing was shiny black paint, no underseal or oil stains.

There's another 2 on the way up the hill to my place, to the same level of restoration.

I can't help but admire the work that goes into these projects.

I'd love to comment if only I could see your pictures Clive, I'm just getting the little black square of death.

I'd love to comment if only I could see your pictures Clive, I'm just getting the little black square of death.

Sorry Chas, they obviously look fine to me and TP by the sound of it. Every time I post pics from my iPad or laptop, some go embedded and others appear as attachments, all following the same process of attachment, either using advances or the quick method.

Maybe young Cris can intervene here, I've followed all the instructions and I don't want the hassle of flicker or such nonsense... :icon-rolleyes:

It must be some sort of electricery magic, I can see the pictures today Clive. Isn't that the model of venicle that was mentioned a couple of weeks back in another thread, it looks familiar.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It must be some sort of electricery magic, I can see the pictures today Clive. Isn't that the model of venicle that was mentioned a couple of weeks back in another thread, it looks familiar.

No, not quite Chas, although there are similarities.

The other one was a Russian CAC, whereas this is a Romanian ARO.

Despite there being no particular allegiance between Russia and Romania during the communist era (which surprises some) the models are similar.

this ARO M461 is tiny in comparison. It really is a cute thing, and would be great as a soft top in the summer, as pointed out by TP with his reference to the Willis. I think it may even be smaller than the Willis. Some of the ARO trucks even had Toyota engines in them, but I'm not sure about this one.

They are very basic, with metal interiors like the Willis Jeep.

I remember ARO producing a civilian version called the Landcar in the 1970's. A sort of east european Land Rover of the day. I guess, back in those days, there weren't that many alternatives to a Landy if you wanted a genuine, off road capable 4x4, the LC being one of them of course.

Take a nosey on Milweb classifieds - all manner of Landrover alternatives - good bad and the ugly! Nice find, though - like it....

Last edited:

Chas,

Give me a shout next time this happens please. Email a screen print (Press Print Screen key, open new email to me and past (Press CTRL V))

I've logged in as you and the pics appear fine. Next time it happens I want to log on to your computer and take a look from there if we can.

thanks

The same day I couldn't see Clives pictures there was also a series of posts from someone (I can't remember the name) he was selling some bits an underbody protection plate was one thing I couldn't see those pics either so maybe it was a problem with my PC.

I have the same from time to time, all looks well after the next message has been posted (usually).:thumbup:

Hi thanks for the pics I was in one on holiday off road it was a lot of fun big:thumbup::laughing-rolling:
Thank Tony.

Back