Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

72 FJ40 Hand brake switch

72Cruiser

Country Flag
united_states
The brake light does not operation (light up) when the hand brake is pulled and the switch is activated. Yes the ACC is on. Now there are two wires to the switch, both green/white. There is no power to either wire when the ACC is on. Any suggestions on tracing this issue.

As an alternate question. What was the standard lift (lift springs) for a 72.

Electrics are not a strong point for me but I do have a wiring diagram for 72-73 FJ40. I will scan this for you if you don't have one, just let me know.

Rear springs: my truck is modified but they all sag on the back end but someone like www.sor.com (based in LA) would have standard springs so worth looking at their online catalogue.

Regards,

Rodger

OK, I pulled the switch out of the parking break handle area and rigged up a dummy circuit. The two wires grn/wht going into and out of the switch are ground wires. The light is on when the switch is activated by the handle and then when the switch is deactivated the ground is off and the light goes off. Here is my problem. The light housing (on the dash left hand side that that is red) had no bulb housing, so I made one up that will fit and used the make shift circuit to test it. Now the light should have constant power (ACC ON) and will be activated by the various brake sensors using the ground function. THE BIG QUESTION IS WHERE IS THE POWER WIRE AND THE GROUND WIRE FOR THIS LIGHT. I cannot find on the wire schematic what the color wire it is, and the power source wire. I don’t want to jury rig a new ACC power feed for this. There must be specific wires for this power and ground.

Please comment ASAP.

Problem solved. Searched and found a g/w wire that ended being the ground for the brake circuit. Could not find the power wire, but ran it to the ACC connection on the fuse box. Now the light goes on when the hand brake is pulled and the acc is on. Will check the other brake light functions to see if they all work.

Back