Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ahhhhh, transmission advice please.

bluesphere

Country Flag
united_states
Pulling my hair out. I am somewhere Between "WOW I have the coolest truck in the world" and "F, what have I done?". Two weeks into my new to me troopie 78 purchase the transmission started popping out of 1st gear. I am okay with that and happy to do the work but I am supposed to have a R151F transmission, but found these markings saying R18 (see picture) Im just trying to figure out what rebuild kit I need and will do the rebuild myself, and with the help of a friend. I just dont know how to identify the tranny. Any advice would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_20240502_102243.jpg
    IMG_20240502_102243.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240429_121211.jpg
    IMG_20240429_121211.jpg
    458.3 KB · Views: 7
Thats jumping the gun a bit surely . Its a manual gearbox i assume so first thing I'd look at is the gear stick which is a solid metal bar with a relatively soft nylon bush at the bottom which wears .

Thats jumping the gun a bit surely . Its a manual gearbox i assume so first thing I'd look at is the gear stick which is a solid metal bar with a relatively soft nylon bush at the bottom which wears .
So i would remove the stick boot, the stick, and its the bushing at the bottom?

Yeah its held in by a sort of cap you push down and twist to release can be a bugger tight or a child could do it if your lucky .

I recently had the same problem with my 80 after fitting an uprated clutch . Couldn't work it out but now know it was the knock on effect of a seriously neglected front axle with wheel bearing so loose a cv snapped . After fixing that and as an afterthought I put a torque wrench on diff to axle nuts and was shocked to get at least a quarter turn on every nut .

Doesn't jump out of first any more .

Ill try that tomorrow. Is the part (bushing) something that needs to be ordered or can it be made?

Might not be your problem but its a Cruiser so major components rarely fail . When diagnosing always look for the simplest things first , even Toyota can't prevent the effects of aging though if they made a pill I reckon we could still do cartwheels on our 94th birthday .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for that. As I can not even hold it in 1st I dont believe its the bushing but will replace it anyway :) if it was that simple would ve brilliant:)

Try it after removing all the boots could be them physically stopping it engaging properly .

Back