Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

12HT issues

Shirmik

Country Flag
australia
Hi all,
Have an HJ 61 Cruiser with a 12HT motor that won't shut down when the key is turned off and removed. The only way to stop it is to lift the bonnet and manually push the rod on a solenoid on hrs of engine. Solenoid has a vacuum hose going to it so I am assuming that once the key is turned to the off position, a vacuum activates the solenoid. Have searched in the manuals and found nothing associated with this problem. Has anyone else had this problem or can someone please point me in the right direction to fix it.
Thank you.
mike.

Hi Mike and welcome to the friendliest Cruiser forum going.

I haven't come across this vehicle, engine or problem but I can offer generic troubleshooting help.

You say a vacuum hose goes to a solenoid, try removing the vacuum hose while it is running and see if it stops, if not it needs vacuum to stop rather than run. Trace the vacuum hose and check each component along the way as well as the hose for signs of holes, perishing that sort of thing.

This sounds so much like the idle up system for the AC on an 80 to me.

When you get to 15 posts the forum will let you post pictures. In the meantime introduce yourself a bit and tell us more about your truck. [emoji6][emoji4]

Regards
Richard

Thanks Richard, it's a Japanese import in Australia but using a 12 ht motor, thought they would all be the same. Might have found the problem though. The vacuum switch behind the turbo intake at the rear or the motor was broken. Had to order a new one which will hopefully solve the problem. These things are a plumbers nightmare when it comes to the vacuum hoses and surely half of them aren't really needed.
Thanks for the reply mate and will post once the new part arrives and fitted.
Mike.

Well done Mike, looks like you found the 'smoking gun'. Hope it sorts it, almost certainly will.

Back