Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1984 BJ40 spring saddle

Bwanatony

Country Flag
uganda
Good afternoon I think this is my first post, I have recently bought a rather abused BJ40 here in Tanzania and I am slowly trying to get it to a point where I can start doing local safaris and possibly a trip down to Cape Town, I have started with both axles/suspension and am replacing bearings, seals bushes ...etc I have noticed that the location holes on both leaf spring saddles are worn out (elongated) what is the diameter of this hole as my plan is to cut out just the saddle mating surface with the hole and weld in a new seat, however I cannot get the dimensions for the hole, also is the hole located dead centre of the axle?

I have posted some pics of when she first arrived, at the moment she is on stands.....

Thanks in advance,

Rgds
Tony

Attachments

• 20220524_114851.jpg
    20220524_114851.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220524_114830.jpg
    20220524_114830.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220524_114820.jpg
    20220524_114820.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 21
What is the diameter of the location pins or are they too worn to measure accurately

Good day from a rather overcast Kagera region in Tanzania, thanks for responding Steve, one of the centre bolts has been replaced so these can be accurately measured, however I need to know if they should fit perfectly in the saddle or whether there should be some element of play, ideally I would like the holes to be spec which I cannot find any information on, also the exact location of the holes, are they a bit offset (front to back axis) either way or do I just centre the holes?

I have just noticed that the one centre/location pin (bolt) I replaced is 1mm larger in diameter than the ones not replaced!!!

Thanks
Regards
Tony

Nice. They look like handy little things. Especially for safari drives. I have always wondered if an engine in a Hj60 or a Hj61 would fit though.

@OffRoadin56 My 40 has a HJ60 engine (2H), and box plus the axles, rims and PAS. They fit but there isn't much room for the radiator cowl without extensive modification. I still use the 40 series rad with no problems and no cowl and it's hot out here.

regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back