Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hdt oil pressure light.

Rob-o

Evening, oil pressure light came on earlier (very alarming!) however the gauge hasn't changed any of its habits and everything is still running nicely.

would this be a sender issue or an electrical gremlin?

many thanks, Rob

I'm not sure if the pressure light runs from a single pole switch and the gauge from a separate sender but it would seem likely.....

If it was mine I wouldn't be driving it until I had put a manual type gauge on it and checked what pressure it has.... "running nicely" has a habit of changing very quickly to expensive bang where oil pressure is concerned .....

morning, thanks for the input, upon further inspection the light is orange/yellow, not red. I've read that some had an oil level light, not oil pressure. I'm wondering if that's the warning I'm getting. of course there's oil in it but there is a plug on the sump that would be ideally placed to be a level sensor, and it lives in a pretty inhospitable place!

rob

My 1HDFT certainly has a level sensor on the sump.... I would expect a low pressure warning to be a critical alarm and therefore be red.... I think you've sussed your problem....just to find the cause now

Whilst on the subject is there not a better sender that improves the factory gauge ?

Grimbo, I'm pleased you said that, it was my thought process too.

Shayne, I think that merits some looking into. I'm not against having a stand alone gauge alongside the boost and EGT gauges but one that worked with the standard gauge would be nicer, even if just to avoid having a dead gauge on the dash.

rob

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK a couple of things, the 1HD-T does not have an oil pressure light.

There is an oil pressure gauge and sender, and there is an oil level light,

So that's cleared that up.

The oil pressure gauge on any vehicle is pretty useless even if accurate which the 80 one is until it wears, more of that later. In the 80 sump is an oil level sensor and the dashboard warning is amber, if the level in the sump falls then the light comes on. I was under the impression that the oil level light can only come on when you switched on the ignition and went out after starting the engine, and then would not come on again until the engine was switched off and restarted, that is the circuit is disabled after the engine is started. I was once told this is not the case and the light would come back on if the oil level fell, so I am not not sure about this as the oil in the sump falls significantly when the engine is running, so it is feasible that if the oil level was low and you were traversing some rough ground then perhaps the sensor would trigger the dash warning? The oil level sensors do go bad in particular if oil changes are not regular, they in effect 'gum up' so could trigger a low reading assuming they can when the engine is running even if the level is correct.

So to the the oil pressure sensor, when new they are fairly accurate but they do wear but they are adjustable! In the quest for dashboard accuracy I not only calibrated the oil pressure sensor but also the dashboard indication at the same time, and whilst in there I also changed a couple of electronic components in the temperature gauge so it now shows the true temperature of the engine. and of course the fuel level gauge was done at the same time. After calibrating the oil pressure sensor and gauge I also fitted a 'T' in the block so the gauge AND an oil pressure switch could be fitted and a light into the dashboard. I did once consider myself an avid dashboard watcher, but the truth is no one is going to notice an oil pressure gauge slowly falling as your oil is dripping out of the bottom of the engine due a a leak or whatever but a light will catch your attention.

I done other 'stuff' with the dashboard for example what was going on under the bonnet, this is listed in my long running thread on 'MUD'. here is the dashboard insert that is left blank in the manual cars: Builds - My LC 80 thread. - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] POST 299

And here when lit up: Builds - My LC 80 thread. - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] POST 306

So this 'module' shows different information, for example low oil pressure light, engine cooling fan on, low engine coolant, and so forth. the oil pressure light and low water lights are linked to a buzzer as well, there are switches that enable the buzzer (which will drive you crazy) if you need the ignition on without starting the engine for example when looking for a faulty indicator.

Give me a shout if you want further information, but my MUD thread pretty much has everything done to my car, including service intervals and so forth.

Stay safe.

Regards

Dave

EDIT: Having a bit of a 'moment' this morning, so have had to correct some typos....well a lot of them actually. LOL!

Last edited:
Dave, what can I say, that's a wealth of information and I'm grateful to you for taking the time to write it out.

I think the first course of action (after reading all of your thread on MUD) is to do an oil change and whip that sensor out whilst the sump is empty. see if it can be unstuck, if that is what has happened.

Rob

Dave, what can I say, that's a wealth of information and I'm grateful to you for taking the time to write it out.

I think the first course of action (after reading all of your thread on MUD) is to do an oil change and whip that sensor out whilst the sump is empty. see if it can be unstuck, if that is what has happened.

Rob
Your welcome, with so many knowledgeable members on here , if it was not me then someone else would have been along soon enough.

Make sure you get all surfaces clean before refitting and use RTV sealant, it is not as good as the FIPG gasket cement used by Toyota but because of the small amount needed it will be cheaper.

Regards

Dave

apologies for the very late update! good news, removed the oil level sensor. couldn't see anything mechanically the matter with it, so had a look on YouTube and there was a chap having the same issue as me. he found that both nuts (tiny 6mm things) that hold the assembly together were loose, and tightening them sorted his issue. turns out mine were too, and it also sorted my issue, so an easy win!

rob

Back