Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

40 series advice

dave-soliton

Hi,

I've been given the green light to get a 40 series by my fiancee.
I don't have a lot of money, and probably never will. So I'm after one to restore.
I can weld (doesn't look great, but is strong) and do tin work etc - I've restored a lot of vintage tractors.
I'm looking for some general buying advice. Any tips on which model is best to live with?
Does any one sell them?
I'm also interested if anyone is selling one.
I'd like a short wheel base, but I'm open. My budget is about £3k. So restored one are probably too much.
Any advice would be great.

Hi Dave,
IMO you should be looking for a complete one as it is the little bits that cost so much. As you so rightly say the rust worm is the main problem but get one that runs. Mechanically they are strong and mostly the wiring looms are good. Interiors and bodywork will be the main issues. Some body repair panels are available (sills, front panel, etc) and there are ways round some of the more expensive pressings. Have a look at the following site - well worth a full read so you know what you may be up against, although this is an extreme case: www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/main.htm
As they weren't officially imported to the UK in any numbers and you don't appear to have the budget to buy and ship one from OZ you maybe best looking at Eire (lcocie is a lc forum in Eire) or France (but most are LHD).
Models: BJs are diesel; FJs are petrol; 41s or 42s (can't remember which but someone on here will) are 12 volt, all the others are 24 volt. 45s and above are longer - pick ups and troopies. I think 43s have a slightly longer body. Pre 1980 have a rounded headlight surround and 80-84 are more squared off. The spec improved slightly through the years but it makes little odds if you find the truck you want.
Even though they are few and far between, don't be tempted to buy the first you see (unless it's the right one for you). Most of us spent ages looking before we invested. Try some of the more obscure sites (even Difflock has been known to have adverts for them). Easiest one for mechanical parts in UK is the BJ40 but most (except 43) body parts are inter-changeable with 40-41-42 and the front end of the 43. I suspect that there are people on here who will be able to help you more but at least this gets the ball rolling. Just a thought, and I realise that you say you want a SWB, but there were 1500 45s imported officially into the UK for the agricultural industry - which may make it easier to find a 45 but they are pick ups.
Hope that helps.
Regards,

I've found a couple of 40's on the Car and Classic website in the past; they range from ones that haven't made it to the dealers, to ones that are with the dealers.

Hope that helps,
Ed

My BJ41 is 24 volt but it ain't for sale :)

Be patient something will turn up. It may be worth trying Karl Webster on here he may be tempted to sell one of his

Back