Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series injection pump installation

RobE

Country Flag
australia
Hi, Can anybody assist me please.
I have a 80 series turbo, 1HDT that had its injection pump rebuilt recently because of fuel leaks.
Question is; on re-installation of the pump, is the key fitted into the keyway when the pump is being re-installed,
or is the key fitted from the front after aligning the keyway of the drive gear.

Make sure there are no burrs on the key, fit key to pulley (after setting the 2 pump timing gear marks) and then fit pump.

Hey Trevor, thanks for responding to me.
I think the key may have fallen out of the shaft of the key way.
When the injection pump was re-installed after repairs, everything was fine and the engine started first go and ran fine.
After each start thereafter the engine wouldn't fire first go but, when it started it was blowing small amounts of white smoke.
however, now its blowing massive amounts of white smoke. I have just started to remove the flanges and the sprocket to see
if the shaft and keyway are all correct..

The key fits in the shaft of the pump and if the engine is set at TDC then the keyway is set at 12 clock or vertical.. I'm confident to say that you would never fit the pump into place if the key was fitted to the outside of the slot because the shaft has the round shape of the which key is set in.

Did you use a dial gauge when you set the pump up? The setting is 1.32 the pump has to be set to the engine, if you follow the factory service manual. Because if you didn't then it could be the issue that you have. Incorrect injection timing.

37327.jpg

Hello folks, not wanting to drift off-topic, but where would someone get that timing tool?
Seen plenty of multi pump type kits but none seem to have the lever and clock type. All seem to be plungers that attach to the delivery valve nipple.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Toyota used to supply the fulcrum type. BTW the fulcrum is bang in the middle of the arm so this gives the same reading on the dial gauge whether using this fulcrum type or a straight one. It's possible to get to the back of the pump and fit a straight one with a bit of fiddling. I made my own straight type holder.

Frank, your handy post on this is here:

Hello folks, not wanting to drift off-topic, but where would someone get that timing tool?
Seen plenty of multi pump type kits but none seem to have the lever and clock type. All seem to be plungers that attach to the delivery valve nipple.
toyota.

Back