Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Owner from New Zealand

Leighos

Hello to all,

I'm the proud owner of an 80 series Land Cruiser. I've only had it less than a month, but I love it already!

Its a Japanese import 1992, 4200 turbo diesel (1HD-T) and 5 speed manual. Done around 330k and is totally standard, its been fairly well looked after, aside from a few scrapes its in really good condition.

My only gripe so far is there is a lot of backlash in the front drive, I think its in both the centre diff and front diff. Seems to be fairly normal for these 80 series, and by all accounts a lot worse in the manual transmission versions.
I'll get around to fixing it oneday hopefully, I drive it fairly sedatley and its hardly even noticable, so no rush.

I look forward to learning more from you guys (and gals?) during my stay here, I do all my own servicing and repairs so any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Leighos

www.carjam.co.nz.jpg

Great to hear from a fellow Middle Earther. Welcome!

hi there. i too am a kiwi, just joined today.i have got a vx ltd 93 1 hdt auto, 143k and i have had for about 4 and 1/2 years now. i have noticed a lot of play in my front too. sometimes it seems as if the front diff shaft pulls away from the housing and tends to leak. im only the second owner, first in japan, and seems strange as it never gets abused and is generally a town truck.

Back