Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Steering Parts.....Genuine or non genuine

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
When doing the tracking today it seems all the adjusters are seized solid so will have to remove the rods to free them up with some gas. I have now been informed by an MOT guy that if the components have evidence of being heated (gone blue) then this is a potential MOT failure! (so will probably have some very nicely painted track rods ;) )
Ayway, as usual with this stuff might have to replace anything that wont free off properly so what is best, Genuine parts (preferred but costly) or are there any known recommended non genuine suppliers?

Hi Paul, I got some from M*****s, Done about three hundred miles since fitting, will be replacing them with genuine items shortly.

Hi Paul
I had the same problem with mine and held the tube in the vice and heated up the ends of the tube with oxy/acetylene. The rust went to powder and I was able to unscrew the track rod ends and reassemble with waterproof grease. I only needed nuts which I had to split as they were seized solid. I bought genuine new ones. I never buy anything but genuine parts as £ for £ I find you are worse off buying replica ones. And you have to do the job twice as often!!

As for MOT failure all the rules are written in a book and I should ask to see where blued metal is a failure.

Frank

Back