Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

95 Oil Filter question.

wobbly

Garage
Started a minor fluid service on the Prado.

Got off to a poor start - removed the fuel filter as a whole unit to make it easier to take off, but found the top section so tightly fitted it had to go in a vice to split, even then it took a hammer to remove the top pump, I fitted the new one hand tight plus an extra quarter turn for good measure - no sign of diesel leaking out or poor running through air getting in so am happy with that.

Air filter very easy, old one was a bit dirty, probably ok to just turn round, but for a few pounds whats the point.

Oil filter - it looks like the easiest option is to remove the air filter housing, which will give me straight access on to the oil filter - does that sound about right? Given the angle of the oil filter I would like to invest in a slide on filter removal tool - like a huge socket - anyone using anything like this?

I have a rubber banded wrench which works fine, but there isnt really the space to get it on at the correct angle.

Checked the antifreeze and it looks good, will be drawing off a little atf as well - I still have loads of mineral dexron 2 atf that I bought for the 78 but didnt get to use - as I intend to change it as part of each service I'm thinking that mineral will be ok - each service is about 5000km's. or 1 year.

Or should I go for semi-synthetic - I dont tow more than once in a blue moon so it may be ott?

I am using semi-synthetic 10w-40 as I have loads of it in the garage!

Cheers

Pete

I remove my air filter box on Fiery to gain better access to the oil filter when removing it. I use a Draper chain wrench on mine, like this one http://www.diytools.co.uk/draper-77584- ... rench.html but be sure the you have the correct replacement as this can badly damage the old filter during removal. The other thing to point out is that below the oil filter there's a catch bowl, to catch any lost oil during removal. All very clever so long as you remember to put something below the drain pipe to catch this oil before it spills onto the drive :oops: :D

sae70 said:
The other thing to point out is that below the oil filter there's a catch bowl, to catch any lost oil during removal. All very clever so long as you remember to put something below the drain pipe to catch this oil before it spills onto the drive :oops: :D

:thumbdown: 120 is similar and on mine, doing the 1st oil change, the drain hole in the 'dish' was block and it over flowed a bit making a mess. No harm to Toyo, but it a stupid system. And the little drain pipe drips for a day or two too.

If the hose is set up correctly the oil from the little catch tray under the filter should end upo coming out the same place as the drain in the sump.
My hose had hardened and cracked so I fitted a new hose and routed it down to the same hole in the undertray.
Its not a stupid system IMHO its a very good system, saves a lot of mess compared to the 2C-TE where you just undo the horizontal filter and let all the oil pour over the subframe and hopefully into a catch tray.
Draper do a nylon strap type oil filter removal tool which can be driven by 1/2" and 3/8" drives and a 19mm spanner as well.
I find this the best for filter removal as it doesn't cut the filter like the chain type.

Taking them off damage isnt an issue - its more the angle - I have a rubber strap which wont damage, but it needs to sit at 90deg to the oil filter, doesnt look like it will go on this one.

Going to do it tomorrow, today has been a football day!

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I use one of these on an extension:

Aro_EEt1tfDafi34lrxNPuXhWFRNkG1UobKMYL28Tc99WB0roLcE_o0UPx5aWULjssz6tS65NdMVhXIUI4CPwQvHVrvtzDTFa4llgShbIrugbeaY-LXzqu0U9NIkDTlV8UGKOlE0weqa8s8xpD2kSLStjNbdfy-50V05OUtkAFGusPynSmy2qkzthsk

No need to touch the airbox.

fridayman said:
I use one of these on an extension:

No need to touch the airbox.

+1 for that :thumbup: .

Much easier than my chain wrench, 2 different strap wrenches or spearing it with a screwdriver :lol: .

Bob.

I realised I lost my filter wrench, same one as above when all the oil was drained out a few weeks back, everywhere closed, filter was overdue, nothing for it but a long flat screwdriver... Bodging has to do sometimes!! Not recommended though!

Cool, will google filter wrench, I def need something that attacks the filter head on - even the LJ was a tight fit for the rubber strap.

Pete

Bounder said:
Its not a stupid system IMHO its a very good system, saves a lot of mess compared to the 2C-TE where you just undo the horizontal filter and let all the oil pour over the subframe and hopefully into a catch tray.
quote]

Point taken Bounder, but what I really meant is that Toyo should be using filter elements in a housing and not the extremely wastefu, expensivel and messy screw on cartridges. As a drip catching solution, yes, it's fine.

Back