Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AC retrofit

IRLGW

I seem to have made a small oversight when specifically sourcing a 12v Manual for an overland trip to SA - The 12v Manuals where never fitted with aircon for some reason according to the sales brochure from 1993 (same year as my truck). So I'm going to have to fit an aircon system particularly as i'm taking the dogs with me to france for a month in july.... has anyone fitted an aircon system from scratch before and do i need to change the heater matrix as well?

bit of a bummer but surely it couldn't be that hard...

Have been investigating thi same issue myself, but not getting very far. Did you discover anything?

It's obviously possible and have sourced a unit but would rather transfer from one truck straight to the other so i can be sure where it all goes. requires aircon pump/compressor, radiator, matrix, condenser, pipes and hoses not to mention finding the correct looms in the wiring. With two dogs I think I will have to attempt it at the very least

Roughly what sort of money are you talking for the unit as a whole? Does it make any difference if it comes out of an auto or a manual? Think I could probably decipher how to fit it ok if I could spend a bit of time looking at one with it fitted.

i am also looking at this. from my experance in SA is that when you have air con on in your car then get out to do any form of work you really think that you are going to die from the heat. i like to drive with the windows down then you feel the african heat and get used to it. mine you saying that moz this year was dam hot even letting the tyre down in 54 heat was a challenge.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I will agree that once you are have reached your destination and are pottering around enjoying the atmosphere there is nothing better than the windows open.

But when you need to drive long distances at speed I prefer to have the windows up and the ac on. On dirt / dusty roads its sometimes better to pressurise the cabin space by running the fan / ac with windows closed to prevent the dust getting in through the back door seals.

fair enough my wife hates it when i have the windows open but i have a good excuse when we are in africa.
have you tried the 80 breaker to see if he would sell you a second hand kit. i really dont think it would be hard to do. not sure what i am doing yet as we might be off to canada for a few years so i dought i will need ac then. might retro fit when we take 80 to SA but have a few years yet.
dont for get the Africa spec trucks have a very large AC rad about the same size as the main rad. do people that take the cruisers to SA have probs with the ac rad not cooling enough?

We are looking to retrofit AC to an 80 series too - if anyone has any advice it would much appreciated, particularly in terms of sourcing parts.

The Toyota kit apparently is no longer available unfortunately.

Back