Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AHC reservoir empty can I safely drive ??

Kieron

Country Flag
uk
Hi all
11 months ago I had exactly the same problem
i think one of the hydraulic pipes on my AHC has burst…corroded through most likely and my reservoir tank is now dry
the OFF light for my AHC is on
My question is is it safe to drive ? I plan driving a few miles to a garage tomorrow, but I’ll still need to get some Toyota suspension fluid.
would it do any harm to use a regular suspension fluid just to get me home and then flush it out with Toyotas own stuff when I get home ?
will it do any damage if a drive it with the reservoir empty?
Can I use the Skyhook TEMS ( skyhook Toyota electronic modulated suspension) set to position 1 to help out or does this also require the AHC tank to be full
Any help appreciated as I’m away from home on holiday in North coast of Cornwall for the next few week
cheers all

Last edited:
The springs/torsion bars on a '100' are quite weak - to allow the AHC to raise or lower the chassis. This means you will probably be on or near the bump stops if you drive it.

I doubt you will do any damage provided you take it easy for a limited distance. There won't be much in the way of suspension or body roll.

It is designed to be driven in 'low height mode', but there may be a restriction related to speed. When in 'high suspension' it will drop to 'normal' if you exceed 40mph. There may be something similar with 'low'.

I have replaced some of the smaller pipes on my AHC system with cupro/nickel brake pipes. The larger main suspension pipes (hydraulic rams to damper unit/gas globes) are larger diameter, I don't remember the dimensions I'm afraid.

Let us know how you get on.

Bob.

Hi all
11 months ago I had exactly the same problem
i think one of the hydraulic pipes on my AHC has burst…corroded through most likely and my reservoir tank is now dry
the OFF light for my AHC is on
My question is is it safe to drive ? I plan driving a few miles to a garage tomorrow, but I’ll still need to get some Toyota suspension fluid.
would it do any harm to use a regular suspension fluid just to get me home and then flush it out with Toyotas own stuff when I get home ?
will it do any damage if a drive it with the reservoir empty?
Can I use the Skyhook TEMS ( skyhook Toyota electronic modulated suspension) set to position 1 to help out or does this also require the AHC tank to be full
Any help appreciated as I’m away from home on holiday in North coast of Cornwall for the next few week
cheers all
TEMS and AHC is the same system, so if you have a leak and the Off-light is on, you have no tems.

The car will be on the bump stops, but with some downforce from the steel springs so that you will maintain a fairly good traction even if the road is not even. You will have no damping, so drive with extreme care. The front A-arms are susceptible to damage if you hit anything hard when on the bump stops.

What is regular suspension fluid? And what's the point if you have a burst pipe? You have to use the specified fluid, or something with the same specs. The ahc fluid is not difficult to find, afaik. Flushing is not easy, as it requires taking the shocks off to empty them.

Back