Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air conditioner receiver tank leak

tsviatko

There is a noticeable leak (I can see the stain) on top of the air conditioner receiver tank (88471-34010).

It looks like the leak source is the crack between the receiver tank and one of the pipes that are bolted on top of it.

I can see no gasket there or anything of that kind so I am really wondering what should be replaced in this case. How is that assembly sealed?

DSC_0114.jpg DSC_0115.jpg

That is how it looks like.

Must be quite common to leak from there - when I had my AC regassed this Summer, they put a dye in and mine has stained around the inspection bubble and the pipes going in/out of the receiver tank. The AC still seems to be working fine after several months, so the leak can be that bad.

Well it ain't gonna get any better either. So, I'd rather go for fixing it.

Did you disassemble that by any chance?

Not I haven't - I'll get it checked over and serviced in the New Year - as I think that the O-rings are beyond their best across most of the system.

This is what mine looked like a few weeks ago.......

20130827_151917_zpse160b1c6.jpg

Which seems to be different model tank to one in your pictures? However I suppose the symptoms/causes are similar.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep, yours looks somewhat different but the problem seems to be the same.

So does any of you guys know what kind of seal is there?

That tank is called a receiver /drier, or a filter. The seal that is leaking is an o-ring and it cannot be dismantled without losing the R142 gas from the a/c system. Go see your local mechanic and see if he has gauges and the facility to remove the gas and then recharge the system. the o- ring is a quid and the gas side is 2 hours or so

Back