Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air Filters

warrenpfo

Need to replace mine a toyota one costs £31 and a K&N costs £57 is it worth the extra or should i just stick with Toyotas? My thoughts are go with Mr T as its just an air filter...but what do i know.

Apart from the cost, what's wrong with K&N's :confusion-confused:

i drive a colorado 3,4 v6 i have a k+n air filter sound great and gives me bit more power :thumbup:
ALDO in glasgow

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cossack said:
Apart from the cost, what's wrong with K&N's :confusion-confused:

In dusty places (not the UK, which never gets warm enough for the mud to get dry) they do not filter as well as the Toyota filters. Or so I have read on the Aussie forums.

The Toyota filter is washable.
No need to change, unless it is falling apart.
Follow the instructions printed on the filter.

Several tests have shown that the K&N lets through much more of particles.

uHu said:
Several tests have shown that the K&N lets through much more of particles.

I am quite interested in reading these tests - do you have a link?

There are some threads on mud discussing this, with links to tests. Just checked and most of the links are dead now, except this one.
Here is the conclusion of one of them though:
I can’t believe the dirt that it allows to pass! I always believed that the oil would trap the dirt. I am going to replace the K&N with the OEM one!
Robbie, you were right, and I thank you for pointing this out to me, and I am appalled that I believed the hype that is out there. “K&N “plugged up” 3 times faster, passed 15 times more dirt and captured 39% less dirt. “

Here is a link to one thread, which also contains a link to an older thread. Watch username "dmx 84", who used to believe in K&N but had to turn around when faced with the dirty facts.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-crui ... rence.html
The discussions are for the petrol engine LC, but filter technology is similar to the diesel version.

Edit:
This thread is even better

Back