Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Antenna unit replacement

Jureb

My power antenna in my 2002 Prado (95 series) is broken. Previous owner told me that a thief had broken it. The aerial mast is gone/most likely broken inside the antenna unit. The unit itself wiggles around and probably the mounting bracket / screw is broken, I don't know I still haven't looked inside to check the situation. I'm probably going to buy whole new antenna unit.
The antenna cable which goes from the antenna unit to the radio inside the cabin comes with the antenna unit - you can't unplug it. That means I will have to guide the new antenna cable from the fender to the back of the radio? Guiding that cable seems like a major pain in the a**. Did somebody already do this? Any suggestions? I am also going to look into aftermarket antennas, the manual ones. Does somebody know any good aftermarket manual antennas that would fit in that standard Prado antenna spot?

Hi - take a look at Roughtrax4x4 - they sell replacement antennas including just the mast. You may not need a whole new electric unit (and may not like the price either). There is also a video which may help you.

Hi there. Coincidently I had to remove mine a week ago (1997 95 series) to get the fender off for repainting and protect the chassis fron rust.
I had to cut my way into the aereal support because it was glued with oxidation so I bought myself from the dealership a new one without the power motor that makes it go up and down (thing was dead after two years of ownership, so no up and down for over 20 years, garbage).
Anyway, yes, guiding a new cable is a pain in the ass because the other wires above the steering columm, which is a very tight space already, are taped to the antenna wire. What I did was pass the antenna wire under the steering columm, secure it with electrical tape and be done with.
Under here is a link for a online shop of OEM parts for japanese cars, just sharing it because it has good graphics and all the parts numbers.

With motor:

Without motor:

Thanks for your insight. I will also buy a manual antenna, the motorized one is just too expensive. After removing my antenna I inspected the situation and came to conclusion that I will guide the antenna cable under the steering column somehow to the radio. Did you guide the antenna cable through the hole which is next to the antenna itself and then from there under the steering column? How much did you pay for your manual antenna? I think they're around 60-80 € in Europe.
Thanks for this useful link. Until now I have used Parts catalog for Toyota Land Cruiser Prado - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] which is also pretty good with graphics and codes.

Yeah, I paid 60 euros at the dealership. And I guided the antenna wire trough the normal route, except that I passed under the column. I did tried to pass it over some other wires and such to make it cozy for the antenna wire, there is more than enough wire length for that.

Back