Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Aux Battery Power Supply

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Spent a few days this week installing a box to contain my AGM battery and all associated stuff to provide remote power when camping.
The plan is to remove any need to use start batteries for anything else.
Installed it in the truck by securing it to a new 18mm plywood side wall and anchoring it to the tie down point. This Is what I came up with:
F68F221E-3997-4D82-B147-F31429EB65EA.jpeg

I didn’t want the box any wider than the wheel arch so it doesnt waste space.
I can charge the battery via a battery charger at home using a c tek charger, or via alternator fed through a redarc charger or via solar panel to same redarc charger.
7773385B-BC1A-4FE8-B2BA-CA3B3181AFE5.jpeg

Grey Anderson plug powers fridge and another above can power air compressor if needed.
To charge with solar i need to remove the red andersen plug and plug in the solar panel after flicking a switch inside to disable the battery sense wire used to know when to take juice from alternator.
So far the fridge is switched and some lights are planned for the back of the car and tent.
Also installed an invertor for anything that needs 240V supply:
8CF1C2CE-5B40-45BA-9DEE-4F3C2CC2F288.jpeg

The cig socket will accept my water pump and usb for phone charging etc.
will hopefully test everything out in a couple weeks with the Oztent for a few days to see how it lasts with solar top up etc.
The redarc copes very well with 28v alternator and 22v solar feeds. When connected to the alternator It will only charge the aux battery when both start batteries are fully charged.
Want to get a battery monitor to see how many amps are going in and coming out but thats for the next phase once Ive done some research.

That looks nice and neat Ben. Hope you’ve got all cables suitably fused as close to both battery terminals as practical. :thumbup:

That looks nice and neat Ben. Hope you’ve got all cables suitably fused as close to both battery terminals as practical. :thumbup:
Indeed Rich,
Overkill and over specced at front and back of car. Fuses everywhere right after batteries.
Im sure it could be improved upon ny an expert though but hopefully by pointing out thinner wire could have been used to save money rather than thicker or more fusing!!

Looks great Ben.

It looks like the same Redarc unit that I have, which so far I have been very impressed with.

Overkill and over specced at front and back of car. Fuses everywhere right after batteries.
Im sure it could be improved upon ny an expert though but hopefully by pointing out thinner wire could have been used to save money rather than thicker or more fusing!!
Can’t go wrong with over sized wiring and correct fusing.

Back