Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Axle Question 105's - 80's

denboy

All - some questions for axle gurus ...... Landcruiser - 105 to 80's

Quick question - the 105 has solid axles same as the 80 - but with 5 stud hubs... is there any other difference?? could I swap bits and bobs off an 80 axle into a 105 axle without a problem... or can I do a complete axle swap without a problem... are all the chassis mounts for the front and rear axle the same ?? Is the 105 front diff CWP stronger ?? or suffers the same front weakness as not being same size as the rear...

Reason in regards to the questions - I have spare sets of 80 wheels all 6 stud - if an 105 popped up that I was to consider buying - how easy is it to sort out the 5 stud to 6 stud issue... what I'm seeing is steel wheels on the 105 at the moment - and I'd like to stay with my alloys ... as I have 10 of them... with 4 brand new tyres on a set..

Thanks - any pointers would help - Regards - Denis

It was a while ago but everything is different from the sub axle out.

You can interchange the parts but the 105 stubs wheel bearings and end cap are all stronger then the 80.

It would be better to sell your wheels then change the gumbings over.

Stu

Thanks .... if the 105 axle is stronger I'll stick with that - and the 5 bolt hub....I'll 'just have to' look at some of those split rims.... always fancied a set but couldn't justify them as I had an extra set of 6 bolt wheels...

Denis

Do you mean the standard split rims?everywhere else in the world they chuck the things in a skip

Nope - those are frigging deadly - seen the U tube 'explosions' and it's really really not nice to be wearing the locating rim as a tooth guard... I mean some of these...

http://www.hutchinsoninc.com/CMS/index.php?page=Off-Road-Recreation-Wheels

I can use the spare 80 sets on my other truck as well... and get some other tyres fitted.. at the moment snow tyres might do well - or in a couple of days some studded ones - mind you the once in 5 year use will mean they will perish before they wear out LOL.... good for getting down the pub and back though and 'scoring points'.... LOL

Must be some 105 you would like to abuse if twin beadlocks are on the cards, I’ve just had the struggle of findin the wheels I want for my 105.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back