Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Battery power

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
My alternator is not playing, :thumbdown: I had a replacement alternator fitted quite a while ago that didn't have the correct shaped socket on the back so a small loom, 3 wires, was made up to link the oval plug with the round socket. Now this alternator is failing, the dash lights were coming on but it was still charging albeit a bit lower than it should, but while investigating the problem the wires were pulled out without noting where they were plugged (not by me I hasten to add) and reconnected wrongly, now the dash lights are not coming on but it's not charging at all.
I've got another alternator coming from Steff but until it arrives I've got to stick the battery on charge now and again, so how long will the battery last just using it for starting? (I'm using the truck as little as possible and not using headlights or any other thing that would use up battery power) :pray:

I would have thought with both batteries fully charged they should last quite a few hours driving with no lights, wipers or heater :) There are various things that will still be drawing power but I wouldn't think it amounts to a great deal. Never tried it though ;)

Agree with Jon. Keep the trickle charge on it while parked up if you can then you'll always be ready to go!

Nuclear Chicken said:
Agree with Jon. Keep the trickle charge on it while parked up if you can then you'll always be ready to go!
Yes that is what I'm doing until Steff's alternator arrives, it all seems to be coping at the moment :thumbup:

While we are on the subject of batteries and charging, what is the best smart charger. I've been looking at the Ring RSC8 Smart Battery Charger and the CTEK Multi XS4003 Battery Charger, :think: any opinions or any better ones that you may know of? :idea:

They both seem a bit low on charging current IMO for the dual batteries of a diesel 80 especially if your split charge system is 'intelligent' and will switch the aux battery into circuit for charging at the same time. FWIW I run an Elecsol which I think is 20amp and in another thread I'm sure when I mentioned that someone had found the equivelent in another brand so a search on Elecsol might turn up more information :)

EDIT: Elecsol charger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back