Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BJ71 transmission (h55f) removal

Kgraham

Country Flag
canada
hey everyone,

Just a quick question on a grey area i’m unsure of in the service manual for pulling the gearbox and transfer out of my BJ71. I’m just wondering if it’s necessary to remove the bell housing to pull the gearbox/transfer, or can the bell housing stay in place and just pull the gear box and t-case? Service manual says “remove the gearbox from the clutch housing (FJ) or engine (BJ, HJ)” is that to say that the gearbox has to be removed with the clutch housing connected to it on the BJ and HJ models, or is it saying it can be either or for those models? I’m a total newbie in the area of transmission removal, so this could be dumb question to those who have seen the inside of one of these, but I just want to get my head wrapped around the task before I dig into this thing.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I've never removed gearbox and transfer box, so I'm not 100 certain but my guess is the bell housing has to come off as it contains various bits and bobs that interact with the input shaft.

Pic below of the inside of the bell housing of mine when I had the engine out last year. Different model to yours but should help give you an idea.

cheers

44770928920_ccc6ada543_k.jpg
boxoff[/url] by Dan, on Flickr[/IMG] boxoff by Dan, on Flickr

Back