Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buying an LC with £4.5k

If it was me i would be buying the lower mileage colorado rather than a bottom end 120 for the money. but it depends on how handy you are with the spanners.
just look for a bloody good service history, any accident damage, check brakes stop in a straight line, see if diff locks work fully, aircon should get nice and cold,electric mirrors should fold in if fitted, electric aerial should go up and down without any groans. apart from this they are pretty well built.

Thanks for that. 2001-2002 Colorados with FSH are usually up for around £5.5k, I was looking at this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-La...2635619?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a3da1ba63

I'd imagine that if i found something like for for sale privately, then it might be a grand or so cheaper and within my grasp. Although that particular one's out of my budget, do people consider it to be overpriced?

I think i'm going to go with an 01-02 model for the D-4D. That and the need for a FSH do seem to push the price up to £5-6k generally though, so might have to go with an older and higher miler if i can't find anything soon.

Thanks.

My advice would be to keep an open mind and test drive as many 90's as you can the 1kz-te or D4D . The build quality of these trucks means online pics are for the most part useless as they all look good in a photo , so if you see one nearby for sale go take it for a spin even if you have already decided it's not the truck for you . My swb 90 was the first one of its kind i had ever seen (i chanced upon it while looking for a landrover 90 :oops:) i drove it around the block then just handed over the full asking price without a second thought and 2.5 years later i have no regrets :thumbup:

My advice would be to keep an open mind and test drive as many 90's as you can the 1kz-te or D4D . The build quality of these trucks means online pics are for the most part useless as they all look good in a photo , so if you see one nearby for sale go take it for a spin even if you have already decided it's not the truck for you . My swb 90 was the first one of its kind i had ever seen (i chanced upon it while looking for a landrover 90 :oops:) i drove it around the block then just handed over the full asking price without a second thought and 2.5 years later i have no regrets :thumbup:

Thanks. Does the D-4D have much over the 1KZ-TE? I have been looking at the latter just because i thought it's more modern and would be the better choice. If there isn't much difference between them then i'd find a slightly older model in my price range a lot quicker than a '01-02.

I think you need to drive some different types and see what you find the best for YOU.

The d4d would be better on fuel and they dont have the water in atf issuses if you get a auto. Dont buy the first thing you see wait until you get what you want or you will kick your self at a later date.

I have not driven the d4d so i will not comment but the earlier engine is alot better in the jap version as you have aintercooler that makes a big difference. Would be even better if it had a none electric fuel pump.

stu

I'll just blurt this out, what do we think to this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Toyo...1649669?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3ce2b68305

It's above budget, but does seem to be a good truck considering SH and mileage, if a little over priced as it's from a trader. But saying that, i expect that if i'm looking for a D-4D engined one with a half decent mileage and history then i'd probably need to up the budget by around a grand to at least £5.5k anyway.

The newer D4-D engine isn't essential but my wife will be driving it a lot and will be coming from her 2008 1.8 petrol engined auto Civic, so i was gonna go for the more modern engine to soften the blow in moving to a diesel 4x4 (that i had to persuade her into considering anyway)...

If the KZ-TE is going to be the simpler and more reliable lump, then she may well be trading off some refinement for the lower potential repair costs....

Let me know opinions. Thanks.

That one ticks all the boxes for me - but it's still a 13 year old car, so just make sure you do do the usual Collie checks (see forum stickies and don't forget to check the autobox/rad for contamination).

I know if doesn't work like that on eBay but if you had a chat on the phone and turned up with £5k in your pocket, you never know! :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back