Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

buying landcruiser

alokin

hello,

i am new here

i am opting to buy used landcruiser from years 2003-2006.
can you please advise if there are any problems i should be careful about and give any kind of other advice? here are some issues i have:

* should i be looking for newer one with more km (i.e. 200.000km) or older one with less km(i.e.100.000)?
* i live in croatia and here all we have are diesels, so petrol is not an option, only 3.0 d4d . any problems with the engine, injectors, turbine...?
* i would prefer automatic gearbox. i think there were sold with 4 speed but also 5speed. any differences? are they problematic and should i choose manual to be on the safe side?
* ideally i would by executive version. any strange "gizmos" i could expect to fail ?
* are they all sold with air cushioned suspension or only executive model? any problems with that'
* what sort of fuel consumption can i expect?
* any problems with bad diesel fuel (high sulphur concentration)
* what kind of lifespan (in km's and years) can i expect from this car befor higher repair investments?

all other info is very welcome!

thank you

Hello and welcome.

I am sure someone who knows more on the 120 will be along soon to help out but it might be worth posting in the newbie section to say hello and also adding in your location. :thumbup:

All the best and enjoy your time spent here it gets addictive.

Hi and welcome - and good luck with your search.

The 120 is a pretty robust vehicle - there have been some issues, notably with the injectors, so a later model vehicle is a better choice, as Toyota resolved the issue in 2006, I think. Other biggish problems reported internationally is with the rear diff breaking under extreme (and I mean extreme) use. I know of one personally, in South Africa, and there are some reported in Australia.

The air suspension (rear) is only on the LC5 (Grande in Aus) or Exec as you call it. Pretty solid stuff - I'm aware of one blown air-bag only. The auto-height mechanism (the electrical component) has given one or two issues, is easily fixed, but is a pretty expensive part for what it does - scrap yard is better for parts for this.

The 5 speed auto box is brilliant - I have no issues at all with it.

I get, on avergae, 12.5 - 13.2litres / 100km from my D-4D, with a variety of mods. In standard trim, I had about 10.5litres / 100km, so not bad for a big vehicle.

Funny stuff that's gone wrong on 'exec' models - not much, really. I have a weird issue with air-conditioning, but I'm on my own with this - no-one else has this particular problem.

Cheers

EDIT:

I thinkthe common rail diesels generally prefer low-sulphur diesel, but again, it's being run in South Africa successfully on 50ppm sulphur as well as 5ppm sulphur diesel.

ITO longevity - not sure - depends on conditions, driving style, what you do with it, right? Baby it and it might go on for ever. Drive it like you stole it - it might go on for ever as well :lol:

alokin said:
hello,

i am new here

i am opting to buy used landcruiser from years 2003-2006.
can you please advise if there are any problems i should be careful about and give any kind of other advice? here are some issues i have:

* should i be looking for newer one with more km (i.e. 200.000km) or older one with less km(i.e.100.000)?
* i live in croatia and here all we have are diesels, so petrol is not an option, only 3.0 d4d . any problems with the engine, injectors, turbine...?
* i would prefer automatic gearbox. i think there were sold with 4 speed but also 5speed. any differences? are they problematic and should i choose manual to be on the safe side?
* ideally i would by executive version. any strange "gizmos" i could expect to fail ?
* are they all sold with air cushioned suspension or only executive model? any problems with that'
* what sort of fuel consumption can i expect?
* any problems with bad diesel fuel (high sulphur concentration)
* what kind of lifespan (in km's and years) can i expect from this car befor higher repair investments?

all other info is very welcome!

thank you
Hello,

Where are you based ?

India possibly?

Gra.

Graham said:
alokin said:
Hello,

Where are you based ?

India possibly?

Gra.
;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back