Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buying on pictures?

JerG

Country Flag
france
Hey all, I’m looking for buying a BJ 40 in Europe for my French residence but I live in the US! I’ve seen some that look super clean on pictures but was wondering how bold it is to buy without trying? Thanks!

Its a risk i might take only if the seller could direct me to a restoration thread for provenance , body filler and paint can make anything "look" brand new .

I've bought a couple of vehicles like this - best if you can get the seller on a live video feed and ask questions, get them to focus on anything that you don't like the look of, open and close all the doors, drive it through the gears, etc, etc. Still a risk, but it helps with confidence.

If you're getting the seller to film, have him look underneath at the inside of the sills and at the top and back of the rear arches. Also at the rear body cross member - the one above the rear chassis cross member.
Although you will not be able to see inside on the film, look carefully at the outside of the bottom quarter (below the bezel) and if you can see spots of rust or bubbles then you'll need to repair or get a new one (they are available).
If it is a hardtop look at the roof edge all round where the metal gutter meets the fibreglass roof.

Regards,

Rodger

Back