Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

camper conversion

It requires a huge hole to be cut in the roof and makes your sunroof redundant as the top half covers it. I looked at them over easter but the price is crazy. I did wonder why not hinge it the other side and then use the sunroof to access it and it also means you can remove it when not required. Very nice bit of kit.

looking at their website thats exactly the idea, it just bolts onto the roof gutters and you climb in through the sunroof. you can take it off when you don't need it.

No cutting required. I think you must have looked at something different. most others do require the roof to be cut. $5500 makes it very competitive to a more traditional lifting roof option.

From their website

*Only vehicle modification is the removal of factory roof rack if present
*The removable Campteq top is accessible through factory sunroof, aftermarket rear sunroof, roof cut away, and from the exterior of the tent.
*4 solid rain gutter mounting clamps mounts the hinge top to the well over built Toyota Land Cruiser chassis.

Last edited:
I emailed them last year to see if they would sell plans to be made in UK by a local tinsmith. They were not receptive to the idea and I can see why, but it was a bit daft to expect people to pay that much shipping on top of an expensive product.

There appear two versions, one using the sunroof, and another where the full panel is removed. I'm not sure I'd be capable of using the sunroof as a primary access...

IMO when you have a pop top roof on a vehicle it is to provide standing/living space within the vehicle interior and provision for sleeping. If you keep the roof and use the sunroof as the primary access point, you have a tent on top of the car and a car sized interior, the only benefit is that you can move between the tent and the vehicles interior without getting out, BUT once inside the vehicle what space do you have to go about your business? Getting dressed etc.

The thought of getting up in the morning and leaving my bed via the matterss doesn't appeal. If you use the ladder solution, then you might as well save the hastle and just bolt an Autohome Columbus Variant roof tent on top.

Still full marks for the effort and engineering involved, if you cut the full roof out the whole concept works far better.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yes, it's hard to see much benefit over a magannolia or similar

Back