Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can I use 75w-90 Gear Oil in place of 80w-90

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Managed to grab a couple of hours to do some long overdue spannering on the truck today and one of the jobs I like to do following each off road excursion is to check the gear oils for contamination. This time I have water contamination in both my rear axle and the transfer box, last time it was just the transfer box the couple of times before I had no contamination. I'm not so bothered about the contamination as it comes with the territory I guess, maybe I should consider extended breathers at some point. What does get me though is my front and rear axles spec 80w-90 gear oil and the gearbox and transfer box spec 75w-90 gear oil. It would be great to be able to just drop one oil into the lot, so can I put 75w-90 gear oil in my front and rear axles in place of the 80w-90 or not? What is the difference between these oils? My main reason for asking is that I can buy pretty much 15L of 75w-90 gear oil for £50 and would then only ever have to carry one oil for emergency use and or keep in stock one oil and only ever need to buy one oil at a better price due to the quantity I'm buying at any one time.

I have been recommend by the guys at Opie Oils that if I were to only use the same oil in the entire drive train the stick with the 75w90 so that is what I did before Mongolia but have since changed to the correct oils. I have been told by them that the diff is less fussy than the gearbox when it comes to oil type, also I am fairly sure you should not use EP oil in manual transmissions so you have to run standard gear oil in the diffs. Should be using EP oil in the diffs so that why I went back to using the correct grade and type of oil in the diffs.

Back