Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

cruiser noob has questions about 2H loss of power and smoke

cruiser abuser

Country Flag
australia
g'day gents,

i joined the cruiser club around 10 months ago with a 1986 2h non turbo troopy which i have been traveling around with for the last few months.
the troops has 460xxx on the clock which i have put around 20k on, the previous owners have a full service history and a heap of receipts for work done, i got it quite cheap and am super happy with the purchase however the old girl has lost power (like i have any to lose!) and is blowing more smoke than usual. the smoke is mostly black but is sometimes grey.
so my first thoughts are injectors, glow plugs or diesel pump.
it starts real easy so i tend to lean away from it being the glow plugs? and am thinking it won't be the pump as i would imagine they would run lean and blow less smoke if the pump lost pressure??

i'm going to do an injector overhaul and replace the plugs at the same time but am wondering if my assumptions are correct or if there could be another issues involved.

any advice would be appreciated!

g'day gents,

i joined the cruiser club around 10 months ago with a 1986 2h non turbo troopy which i have been traveling around with for the last few months.
the troops has 460xxx on the clock which i have put around 20k on, the previous owners have a full service history and a heap of receipts for work done, i got it quite cheap and am super happy with the purchase however the old girl has lost power (like i have any to lose!) and is blowing more smoke than usual. the smoke is mostly black but is sometimes grey.
so my first thoughts are injectors, glow plugs or diesel pump.
it starts real easy so i tend to lean away from it being the glow plugs? and am thinking it won't be the pump as i would imagine they would run lean and blow less smoke if the pump lost pressure??

i'm going to do an injector overhaul and replace the plugs at the same time but am wondering if my assumptions are correct or if there could be another issues involved.

any advice would be appreciated!

I would start with the basics first check your filters first both fuel and air then go from there. Have you picked up some contaminated fuel.Did it start to happen after a fill up with fuel?
:think:
Have you done some recent maintenance and left a rag in the air intake by chance?:oops:

Usually them 2h motors are pretty good. They have the inline fuel injector pump. There may also be a gauze filter where the fuel enters into the injector pump that may have clogged up.
After starting it does it rev up as it should or just dies and starts smoking?:think:

I would start with the basics first check your filters first both fuel and air then go from there. Have you picked up some contaminated fuel.Did it start to happen after a fill up with fuel?
:think:
Have you done some recent maintenance and left a rag in the air intake by chance?:oops:

Usually them 2h motors are pretty good. They have the inline fuel injector pump. There may also be a gauze filter where the fuel enters into the injector pump that may have clogged up.
After starting it does it rev up as it should or just dies and starts smoking?:think:

Both filters are fresh I did them when I bought it... on start up its normal and runs fine apart from the noticeable drop in power and added smoke. Thinking about it, it all has been on the one fill up! can shit diesel be that affective?

Might be worth hooking up a 5 litre container with fresh diesel and also check the newly installed filter isn't already contaminated. If it is replace it then start and run the fresh diesel through and see what happens. If there is a lot of algae in the bad fuel it may show in your new filter.

The part that does make me wonder though is you still say it starts fine. I would have thought the injectors would be crappy with bad fuel and make it hard to start or at least a fair bit of smoke on start up.:think:

You haven't knocked of a vacuum hose by chance somewhere?:think: I can't remember if there is any vacuum hoses connected to the Injector pump.:icon-idea:

When I say it starts fine I just mean it starts easy and idles properly but it does smack out a nice plume of black smoke (more than usual). And it can even blow smoke on idle sometimes which it doesn't normally do.
The old girl is dragging around a fair bit of weight as I'm living out of it and ive got a few hobbies. it's constantly towing a motorbike trailer with a pair of bikes and a pair of mountain bikes, so I noticed the drop in power straight away, then the smoke.
The front tank is empty so ill try some new diesel in that but before I do I'll suss the fuel filter out and check vac hoses... that's when the bloody rain stops!

Shoot a good service, motor oil, filters, well vented entire diesel system. still smokes -check injectors .when oil change?:icon-idea:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back