Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cylinder head bolts

Tractionman

Country Flag
england
'Afternoon All,
Does anyone know what socket I need for the cylinder head bolts on 1992 Lj78 2.4. They are the external'splined' type and none of my ranges of sockets that are close, the 12 point type metric in particular are a good fit, I.e. some slight play.
I am looking to buy the correct one if needs be, but the options confuse me.
I don't think they are torx and think bi hex and double hex are what I already have.
Given the age of the vehicle could they be the old J.I.S. ?
Obviously needs to be a good shape and fit so it does not 'slip' round getting old off or putting new on.
What have others used ? Thanks.

Hey man, I've just found a head bolt from a 2lte surf and it's a 12 point 14mm socket. There's quite a fair amount of surface area on the 12 point socket. I've checked the size with a draper expert crv 14mm to check for you...

All the best with the job in hand!!

Thanks for that confirmation Iwan.
I have Elora and Gedore socket sets with 12 point 14mm and that's where I started as both the same very near fit.
Now you have tried another 14mm 12 point and tried on equivilant bolt and know your way around this marque,
That's way good enough for me, - many thanks for taking time out to do that for me.
Hoping to start in around a week, won't fit in garage so I am knocking up an elephant shelter to keep the elements out !
I am looking to source parts from Roughtracks, built up head, gaskets, water pump, belts, e.t.c. as a one stop shop, once I have stripped out and confirmed parts list. Any thoughts on that ? Thanks

Have you thought about doing the swap for a 1kzt engine? The 2.4 is I believe a bit slow and the 3l makes a huge difference from what I’ve read on here. Just a thought as you’ve not started yet.

Hi Starcruiser,
Read about that many times but never even considered it. Personally I have never found the 2.4 to be sluggish or slow, sure it will never be speed machine, nor was it designed to be but it has always performed well with plenty of pulling power, empty, loaded with van vault and tools all the time (took 3rd row seats out), pulling my twin axle trailer or my 24ft caravan. Apart from the inevitable head issue never let me down or cost me money apart from usual servicing and wear and tear costs in 14ish years I have owned it.
On reflection had I known the head issues I would have gone for the 3ltr of which the local importer had three or four of each.
I have been looking for an lc3 for over a year, intending to off the lj78, but nothing suitable has come up condition wise. The lj78 was in excellent condition when purchased and I have tried to keep it that way, so when I look at other models that are far worse I decided I would fix this and carry on. Thanks for your suggestion, always useful info on here

Back