Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Debating what to buy

Surfer

At present we drive a 1996 3.0L Toyota HiLux Surf auto with 80,000 miles on the clock. It is used mainly to tow our 1800kg caravan, but suffers on really steep hills like Fish Hill and Birdlip Hill when towing the caravan and sometimes we wonder if we are going to come to a stop. Recently on a visit to Wales a queue of cars formed behind us on one steep hill. On flats like motorways I have to watch my speed as it is quite easy to go over 60mph and it doesn't feel as if you a re towing the caravan.
We have looked at and taken for a test drive a 2002 Toyota LC D4-D VX auto which we found to be very comfortable and easy to park and good to drive. However not too keen on the seats right at the rear and don't know if they can be taken out altogether. This vehicle has 120,000 miles on the clock, but comes with a good service history. Same owner since 2007. Concern here is that we have read a number of reports of the radiator failing causing over £1000 in damages. As we are retired £1000 does not come easily and we would prefer to avoid that sort of situation.
The other vehicle we have looked at is a 2006 (56) Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited which has the Mercedes 3.0 engine. Does about the same mpg as the LC. Obviously the Jeep is more modern and it also felt good to drive, but put your foot down and this thing takes off like a rocket. Really impressed. However although it has parking sensors etc difficult to judge the front and rear distances. Also spare wheel appears to be under floor in the rear which is not a good idea if you need to change the wheel and have a boot full of luggage A lot of car for the price and much newer as it has only got 53,000 miles on the clock and has a full service history. Don't like the handbrake being situated to the left of the central console though.
In this case there is a difference of about £3000 between the two vehicles. We have always bought Toyota due to reliability. Still very undecided which way to go as Jeep really impresses, but Toyota although it has a few minor dings shouts robust but mileage is quite high.
Any thoughts people? Thanks.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending the Toyota with the D4D engine. Mine has 187,000 miles and never had to touch the engine apart from basic servicing. They are also hugely popular here in Ireland and I have not heard tell of any horror stories about rads packing up. Only heard of them being clogged with mud from serious mud pits. For some reason the engine in the early 120 series gave some bother, but not in the 90 really.I tow a (well loaded)14 foot ifor Williams on a reasonably regular basis with mine, and power is definitely not an issue. The engine is far more powerful and torquey than the old 3.0td. The rear seats can be taken out completely and it leaves a generous boot. The Grand Cherokee might have better seats, but I don't know how good a tow car it is to be honest.

Hard choice, both would be good choices.

I would look into the cost of a new rad and fit it as a precaution, no worries then.

Will be easier to resell the Toyota, the Jeeps have a following, but maybe not such a broad one, although as its diesel it will be easier to sell than the 4.0 petrol.

Do they have towbars, if so, arrange a test drive towing your van, then you will know whichever decision is the right one for you.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Surfer Ian,
The Jeep is pretty good, however in my knowledge, they are let down by the electrics of them years. My brother has the GC. and has numerous electrical problems. No engine or gearbox problems, but has needed almost a full set of suspension rubbers replacing.
120,000 miles on a well documented serviced Toyota is good, and would not be a worry.
However a guy here called Dr Sidderley, bought a Colorado, identicle to the one you are looking at from a Jaguar dealer.
When he got it home, he found the water / automatic oil problem.
He took it back, and had a huge fight on his hands to make them give his money back.
At the moment the police were to be called, (disturbance of the peace) they agreed to refund him.
They (Jaguar) then had the Colorado repaired, and it was back up for sale. Same colour as the one you are looking at now.
BUT there are thousands of that colour.
Generally I would say the Toyota will be more reliable than any Jeep, and will hold it's value.
Some Colorado's are 7 seats with 7 seat belts, some are 8 seats, with 8 seat belts.
I don't know how they decide which will be 7, and which will be 8.

Land Cruisers are seen as the most reliable, and this is born out time and time again, by many of the forum members.
Mine has huge miles, as in almost 250,000.
Saying that I would drive it to Cape Town with no hesitation, it is reliable as the day is long, however I would not drive through Morocco, ( little story there some where).

Try a few 2001 and 2002 Colorado's
Then try a few 2003 and 2004 LC3 land Cruisers.
I know you said the LC3 is just out of your price range, but you don't have to buy it, just go along and test drive it, feel it.
Oh, and as your towing a caravan, don't get a manual, in fact, don't get a manual "full stop"

Gra.

Hi, im on the hunt for a surf, if you are selling could you give me a shout if possible thanks

Back