Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

disappearing engine oil

ddrive01

Country Flag
suriname
Hey Guys,

I currently have a Landcruiser Prado 120 series with the 1kz-TE engine.
It has currently 120.000KM on it.

When I bought the car it already had this symptom where I always need to check oil level and add if low.
Its not that it gets low fast its just weird because I also have a Nissan Navara non turbo which I never have this issue and that has done above 160.000.

Dont have smoke coming out of the pipes.
Only thing is when I need to add there is little white smoke that comes out of the filling hole when I remove the cap.

What could be the issue?

Regards

How often do you have to top oil up ?

My 1kz-te 90 series used about a litre of oil on a 3 day mad dash average 80mph towing a trailer , and while i initially put it down to the thrashing blowing oil into the crank breather to be burnt by the turbo , which may well have played a part , I eventually discovered a split in the crank breather pipe .

I have not measured this. But will check how many Liters I top up next time.
How can I check if mine (crank breather pipe) doesnt have a leakage?

Take it off for inspection

1641393564932.png

@Shayne would it not push oil out? Would it not spray the compartment. I just assume it’s under pressure but always learning

In a perfect world the only thing entering or exiting that pipe would be air , but its not quite perfect so oil vapour/mist goes from the crank breather into the air intake to be burnt and one way or another fired out the exhaust .

The complicated bit is ideally the pistons fall into a vacuum created by the turbo sucking air . If the pipe splits you end up with an open system creating no vacuum increasing the effects of blowby though most of the oil vapour will continue to travel the correct path through the pipe to the intake because its the easiest route .

The split in the pipe will get wet with oil but its mostly air escaping .

Thats my understanding of it anyway .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back