Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diverter Valve

frank rabbets

Guru
When you come back off holiday and no hot water comes out of your taps but the central heating radiators work it might well be your diverter valve on the boiler. Just hit it with a hammer whilst the hot water tap is turned on and save yourself £??? Well it has just worked for me.

Frank

Last edited:
As a plumber I would say that 9 time out of 10 that the best way. just that 1 time when you break something else doing it and wind up with water persisting all over the place.

Yeah that's right Chris. I tried hitting metal bits first but nothing worked but then my wife said I was hitting the wrong thing as she had found an illustration in the workshop manual. It's a Worcester Bosch and there is a vertical control rod which moves up when the hot tap is opened. Do you think putting some silicone oil on this will get to the sticking part?

Thanks
Frank

not usually sticking thats the problem in those but cr*p stuck in the valve. it does actually just pull out and usually pulling it out and putting it back in does the trick.

Chris

Thanks Chris
It says in the book that it is possible to remove the diverter valve motor by sliding it out. It also says it is possible to remove the valve by undoing the 2 screws but to drain the system first. I assume it is the valve I have to remove rather than the motor ? Can you advise me how to drain the relevant part of the system please or shall I just go for it as I don't mind a bit of water. It's a 4 year old 30 CDi WBosch. I fitted the house with central heating 4 years ago and had a gas engineer to gas pipe the boiler. I used 5oo ft of pipe! The clock on the boiler packed up and then the expansion pipe froze. Othewise perfection!

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
To be honest Frank. If its asll working fine now then I would leave well alone. The chances are that there was a small bit of scale suck somewhere that you have now dislodged with the hammer method. It is unlikely that it is going to find its way back anytime soon.

Thanks again Chris I will take your advice and leave it alone. If it fails again I'll take it apart in the failed state to see if I can see what the cause is.

Frank

Back