Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fire risk!

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
I was connecting an accessory today to the additional fuse box I fitted in the driver's footwell.

Just by chance I noticed the flasher unit looked a little distorted? Pulling it out I was surprised to see that a hole had been burnt through the outer casing!

Given this is an area full of cables and relays and the locker ECU all being in close proximity, it clearly is a fire risk. Note my indicators work fine as do the hazard lights.

IMG_20230722_130704.jpg
IMG_20230722_130712.jpg

Might be worth pulling the plastic step and footwell cover and checking?

Incidentally, this is close to the fuel flap and bonnet release cables, I recall a member losing his 80 to a fire with an unknown cause, and unable to open the bonnet?

Regards

Dave.

....... tional fuse box I fitted in the driver's

Incidentally, this is close to the fuel flap and bonnet release cables, I recall a member losing his 80 to a fire with an unknown cause, and unable to open the bonnet?

Regards

Dave.

@Dave2000 That's a definite check Dave, especially as my lockers, have recently started playing up!!

I also remember reading about that incident.... tragic!!
I also read about another similar incident on tinta'net with a fire and bonnet release not working on an 80.

Out of interest, do think this is a result of a defective unit or heat build up in that particular area?
J.

Last edited:
@Dave2000 That's a definite check Dave, especially as my lockers, have recently started playing up!!

I also remember reading about that incident.... tragic!!
I also read about another similar incident on tinta'net with a fire and bonnet release not working on an 80.

Out of interest, do think this is a result of a defective unit or heat build up in that particular area?
J.

I have no idea mate, my additional fuse box is above it so not related, I am not one to leave my hazards on for hours, the terminals are clean and secure so not a poor connection heating up, there has been no changes to bulbs ect so?

It could be an isolated incident peculiar to my car, but worthy of a check given it take just five minutes with no tools other than a torch?

Regards

Dave.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That relay is clearly not up to the task of moving the current demanded by the devices it serves.
Great catch! Could have been a total loss.
Recommend replacing with an up-rated relay for sure.

I agree, but having said that, in December my 80 will be 29 years old, so I would be happy to just plug a new relay in place.

The headlight relays suffer the same problem on older models, again if the problem is caught early the relay socket will not be burnt.

I was going to build a simple add on circuit and market it complete as a plug and play product. The OE wiring from the actual headlight bulbs being used to trigger heavier relays, these relays using the current direct from the battery, I had a business to run so never got around to it.

So there you are, an idea for you enterprising people with nothing better to do, the wiring diagram can be found in my long running thread on 'MUD'.

Regards

Dave.

Hi Dave.

Is your 80 a 24 valve ?
The reason I ask is I had a very weird problem that could have been catastrophic and should be taken very seriously by all 24 valve owners.
That relay looks to have been melted from the outside. Is it possible the throttle cable got hot?

Here's my story.
I noticed a strange white mark on the return spring on the throttle linkage that's bolted to the inlet manifold.
On closer inspection, I saw the spring was burnt off / arc-ed off, hence the white flash mark.
I put a Volt meter on the Tappet cover and found 12 volts ! ! ! I
I have no idea how long this had been going on and I'm sure it could / would have caused a fire.
Maybe through the throttle cable ? ?

The root cause is a known fault that I found via Google.
It was either the Intake manifold heater's relay that is fitted instead of Glow Plugs on the 24 Valve engine,
or the Heater Element itself.
The relay is under the drivers side Battery.
That system had somehow failed, not sure if it was the relay or the Heater element.
I disconnected that whole system and threw it as far as I could :) Problem solved.
I urge every 24 Valve engine owner to check this system. It's dangerous ! !

Regards
Andy

The intake heater relay is a well known issue on the 24v models. I've read there was a recall from Toyota for it years ago but I doubt you'll get it honoured today. Mine was in a real state, badly burnt and corroded contacts and not only had the relay stopped working but it was putting a permanent parasitic draw on the batteries which was flattening them in a just few days. The heater pulls around 45-50A when working correctly. This was around 10 years ago and the OEM relay was still available then for around £180 IIRC but I replaced it with a motorcycle starter relay, relocated it from beneath the battery tray and also added a manual on/off switch.

There's also much discussion regarding the headlight wiring on 80's supposedly not being of heavy enough gauge causing poor light performance but personally I don't buy that and would point the finger at bad contacts in plugs and/or connectors. They didn't come off the production line with poor lights. I never really had any issue with the OEM halogen lighting but going down the LED route has not only improved light output but made current draw even less of a problem.

Last edited:
I had my relay replaced under recall. I then disconnected it just to make sure !!

Hi Dave.

Is your 80 a 24 valve ?
The reason I ask is I had a very weird problem that could have been catastrophic and should be taken very seriously by all 24 valve owners.
That relay looks to have been melted from the outside. Is it possible the throttle cable got hot?

Here's my story.
I noticed a strange white mark on the return spring on the throttle linkage that's bolted to the inlet manifold.
On closer inspection, I saw the spring was burnt off / arc-ed off, hence the white flash mark.
I put a Volt meter on the Tappet cover and found 12 volts ! ! ! I
I have no idea how long this had been going on and I'm sure it could / would have caused a fire.
Maybe through the throttle cable ? ?

The root cause is a known fault that I found via Google.
It was either the Intake manifold heater's relay that is fitted instead of Glow Plugs on the 24 Valve engine,
or the Heater Element itself.
The relay is under the drivers side Battery.
That system had somehow failed, not sure if it was the relay or the Heater element.
I disconnected that whole system and threw it as far as I could :) Problem solved.
I urge every 24 Valve engine owner to check this system. It's dangerous ! !

Regards
Andy
No mine is a 12 valve, the bonnet cable is if I remember correctly is clear enough not to touch the relay.

I am still waiting on the replacement, everything stops moving here in July and August, so it will arrive in the next couple of weeks, I will replace it before selling the 80, this rather than have a new owner having to worry or deal with a possible future problem.

And yes you read that right, due to ill health my 80 is going up for sale. I need to compile a 'for sale ad', and post in the correct section.

Regards

Dave

Back