Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fitted an Albrecht AE 6490 CB rig into Fiery

Bat21 said:
Jon Wildsmith said:
The casting that comes out the top of the coil, been discussed a few times ;)
[quote="Jon Wildsmith":3rpyei51]... the casting can snap at the base of the whip if caught low enough on a branch but the casting is threaded and screws into the base and could be replaced with a steel version if you have access to a lathe. That's what I've done on the 4000 that goes on my front bumper as it's more exposed. The 3000 on the rear wheel carrier has the original casting still.
Which bit snaps Jon, is it the bit that looks like the end of a kids crayon or the round bit below it?

9793sHEqfyHU.jpeg
[/quote:3rpyei51]

The round bit below, the part that is closest to the coil. It is threaded on the bottom where it goes into the base so either when it breaks or as a preventative measure you can remove it and the part it connects to that the whip fits into and replace them both with a bit of solid bar that has a hole in the top to accept the whip and is threaded on the bottom to go into the base. Make sense? The whip is quite thick towards the base so if you snag it on a thick branch quite low down it can snap that casting which seems quite flimsy. In another thread somewhere on here I offered to make the bit of bar for anyone who sends me their base and then covers return postage or collects it. Obviously you lose the ability to adjust the whip angle if you do that.

Finished setting up the SWR on my Thunderpole mini Orbitor today :D

PB270100.jpg

PB270099.jpg

It started like this ch1 1.7 - ch40 2.3 :) So I cut 10mm from off of the top of the twig :) No change :| So I cut another 10mm off ch1 1.5 - ch40 1.9 :D Could have stopped there but no fun in that :D So off came another 10mm ch1 1.3 - ch40 1.7 :D Nice :thumbup: Off with another 10mm :twisted: ch1 1.0 - ch40 1.4 :) Excellent :D So stop there or :think: Oops there goes another 10mm ch1 <1.0 - ch40 1.1 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I think :? :lol:

I also had time to set the SWR up on my back up twig while I was about it :arrow:
PB270097.jpg

I am very unknown about CB,

Is the desired SWR to be as close to 1:1 when on ch1 and on ch 40 ?

Graham

Use channel 20 as it is mid way. And yes, as cooed to 1:1 as you can.

Sent from TapaTalk

Graham said:
Is the desired SWR to be as close to 1:1 when on ch1 and on ch 40
Anything below 1.5 is Ideal :D

Here's a good guid to setting up an aerial for best SWR http://www.4x4cb.com/public/page.cfm?CatID=645

A reading between 1.5 & 2 is OK, and nothing to be worried about.

A reading between 2 & 2.5 will usually be reduceable with adjustment to the aerials length.

A reading between 2.5 & 3 usually indicates that the aerial is being effected by something around it, or that the groundplane is prescent but may not be large enough.

A reading in the red part of the SWR meters scale means that the SWR is high enough to possibly damage the rig & usally indicates an insufficient groundplane/earth connection, or a short or open circuit in either the cable, plugs or mount.

:D :D :D

Just thought i would ask here as it seems to be the place at the moment.

Got an SWR today and was playing with the CB.

Channel 1 just under 3 and channel 40 just on 2.5

The reference says if 40's swr reading is larger than 1's you need to extend the antenna. Its 1.6m already and cant go longer.

I have a Sirio magbase and what was meant to be a thunderpole orbital antenna but not sure it is as was bought off eBay.

My thinking is the antenna is letting it down and best to try another one.....

What are other people’s thoughts?

Mag mount is in the middle of the roof

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yes it needs to be longer according to those readings, probably quite a bit. Not sure but I think those are just a bigger air spaced wire wound resistor aren't they? ;) Chop the whip off and keep it handy ready to jam into the stump of your electric antenna when you break that off :mrgreen:

Not new news, just bringing two separate threads together :)

............I relented & bought myself a Sirio Mythos 9000 twig that I fitted today :D

PC170178.jpg

PC170179.jpg

PC170176.jpg

PC170177.jpg

I also bought a 3/8" banjo adaptor with fixing bolt & wing nut to fit to the bottom of my springer so I can easily swap the two twigs over should the need present itself :thumbup: :D

Twig 1 :|
PB270097.jpg

Twig 2 :)
PB200079.jpg

Twig 3 :D
PC170179.jpg

Just need to SWR everything back up again & I'm laughing :lol: :lol: :cool:

How are you getting on with the Albrecht?

I've been looking for a unit that will fit under the radio neatly, with a front facing speaker and Jim at 4x4 has recommended it - helped along by the fact that there's pics of your install in the 90!

Cheers.

It works very well, I was only using it today as was out on a cheeky little jolly with a couple of m8's. Its got a good range too, but I think that this is more to do with the twig. Chris also has the same rig I believe, although in the back of my mind I do remember something about him having some kind of trouble with his :think: but can't remember exactly what it was :? :)

Chris, hows you getting on with your rig :?:

edit - just remembered it was something about it getting to hot.

Dont forget the TTI, have a word with Tobyjug on here.

IMG00240-20110717-1736.jpg

Will the TTI fit under the radio without mod then?

This is what I was originally going to go for (TCB1100) but was told that the DIN fitting kit can't be removed from it, so it won't fit. Being a bit of a tart, I'm looking to do a really near install.

Back