Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FJ45/40 defender in the fender

Bullet Proof

Country Flag
united_states
Wanted to share this with some of my fellow 40 series builders. I just finished a FJ45 the first one I ever did in a 45 type. I have had many FJ40s and have done some pretty hard off road driving with them. When it comes to off road driving we know that we can easily acquire small and large damage to the body from the environment we play in. I do a lot of high speed dirt road and jeep trail driving where the road has plenty of wash boarding and rocks from pea size to golf ball size and from my experience the front fenders take a betting, mostly in the back side of the fender where the rocks will come off the tire and hit the inside of the fender leaving indentations on the outside of the fender where the wounds leave horrible marks.
So in the attempt to slow the damage processes in this type of situation I lined the inside of the fenders with a shields I made from aluminum (no rust). The process was very easy and only required me to weld four brackets to each inner fender to mount the shield plates onto. Two brackets on the top of the fender inside and two near the bottom area. You can use blind rivets for the mounting bolts of your choice. I left about a 1" space between the fender and the shield so any mud or debris can be wash out. It works just as said I have been up on the trails and so far have had not had any nasty bulges from rocks slamming the inside of the fender. So if you are in a build and have not painted now would t be the time to consider the extra protection. I will add I was also going to do the top inside also but so far not dents yet, next time I will.
Enjoy.

P3184992.jpg P3195002.jpgP3195011.jpgP3195017.jpg:auto-swerve:

Last edited:
:thumbup: Very neat job.

That's a cool idea, I haven't seen any internal protection like that before. :thumbup:

Back