Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FJ55 fitted with detroit diesel

Nice to see this thread revived, these 2 stroke engines sound amazing!

There’s a 90s Foden round here with a big Detroit Diesel (rather than Fodens own 2 stroke). I sometimes see it pulling a large excavator on a low loader, sounds lovely pulling up the local bypass (quite steep) and like a jack hammer when descending with it’s jake brake working.

Being the type of chap who has friends that own tanks ......I spent a lot of time driving an M10 Achilles Tank destroyer with a Detroit Twin pack in the back ....2x straight six 2 strokes mated to a common box built like that in 1944.
He fitted later 24 V heads and bigger injectors so about 250hp per engine .....it made 24 tons of M10 into a sports tank ...it would rev flat out in 5th at about 35mph .

I bet that stirred some emotions in those still around to remember.

Anyway, no two stroke diesel discussion can be complete without one or two of these beauties :)

I bet that stirred some emotions in those still around to remember.

Anyway, no two stroke diesel discussion can be complete without one or two of these beauties :)

I know .....I grew up on a farm that the Bluebell Railway runs through and still live close enough to have been able to hear them loud and clear from home that weekend.
The sound track to life at home is often steam engines , merlin engines , and the odd detroit or radial tank engine .

I can only boast Merlins :) and the odd rather annoying quad bike!!! :icon-sad:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Any sentence or day that includes the words Merlin and Engine has to be a winner .

That said my Collie is called Merlin and my best mates golden retriever is called Sherman ;-)

Back