Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel additive for 4.2TD

Avalon Audio

Hi all - hope your trucks are all keeping well :)

Just looking for feedback on the use of additives for diesel engines, I used Moreys additive with my Nissan Patrol 4.2TD for years and could really see the difference in how much cleaner and sweeter it ran when it was given a fresh dose.

The difference with the VX100 is that it is way smoother and refined plus it has run so beautifully with diesel alone that I was always inclined to think "if it ain't broke dont't fix it". I do however feel that with 400,000k's coming up on the clock a bit of extra 'love' is not out of order and therefore considering it may be time to introduce the Moreys

Any thoughts?

Anything with 2EHN ((2-Ethylhexyl Nitrate). Practically all decent cetane improver will contain this.

I use bioboost 1000 at 1000ppm which is 1ml in every litre.

I tried Wyns injector cleaner in my 80. An empty bottle would have been just as effective.

Frank

My first 80 failed an MOT on emmissions, the tester told me to put some injector cleaner in and go for a short drive, come back and he'll test it again. So I did but I can't remember what brand I used (it may have been Wynns), went back re-tested and it passed. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
How would the 100 react to a couple of liters of petrol in the tank?

I wouldn't put petrol anywhere near a diesel as it can damage seals and cause no end of issues due its lack of lubricating qualities. This is particularly true with common rail diesels.

Millers do an injector cleaner that works well on Land Rovers - no reason why it shouldn't work well on Cruisers too. Best thing is its near enough the same cost as Wynns but will run through 4 or 5 tanks as its not designed as a one shot.

Hi Cossack
My 80 also failed MOT on emmissions so I drove around the block; with no additive and it passed!!

Frank

Hi Cossack
My 80 also failed MOT on emmissions so I drove around the block; with no additive and it passed!!

Frank

Interesting Frank, what did driving round the block do that driving to the test station didn't. :confusion-confused:

Frank must of put his foot down Chas.

I wouldn't put petrol anywhere near a diesel as it can damage seals and cause no end of issues due its lack of lubricating qualities. This is particularly true with common rail diesels.
First time I have heard that, I have read plenty of people recommending petrol as a cleaner for an 80. Any other opinions?

I know quite a few people who use up to 10% unleaded as an anti-gelling agent in the colder months when running Veg or Bio Diesel.

To see the effects of the lack of lubrication properties of petrol look at what happens when you use unleaded fuel in an engine designed for leaded petrol. Valve seat wear accelerates dramatically when lead is not present (lead is a lubricant).

If you need a cleaner it is safer and just as effective to use Paraffin or a proprietary injector cleaner.

Have a read here about the effects....

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/misfuelling.html

I think you are misunderstanding how little petrol I am suggesting, only 2 litres to a whole tank. If you are really worried about lubrication then you can add a litre or so of 2 stroke oil as well.

I know this works for an 80 but the 100 may be to fussy about its fuel.

My first 80 failed an MOT on emmissions, the tester told me to put some injector cleaner in and go for a short drive, come back and he'll test it again. So I did but I can't remember what brand I used (it may have been Wynns), went back re-tested and it passed. :thumbup:

Never let a tester do an emissions check if the engine has been idling for any length of time. I drive for a minimum of 15 minutes, then into the test centre and the tester does it straight away.

If you let the engine idle, it will over fuel itself to failure mode. It wasn't the additive that cleaned it out, just the drive round the block. I assume the tester sold you the cleaner?

Roger

Never let a tester do an emissions check if the engine has been idling for any length of time. I drive for a minimum of 15 minutes, then into the test centre and the tester does it straight away.

If you let the engine idle, it will over fuel itself to failure mode. It wasn't the additive that cleaned it out, just the drive round the block. I assume the tester sold you the cleaner?

Roger
No the tester didn't sell me anything, I went to Halfrauds.

I'd agree with the caution against petrol, some older mechanical IP's will cope with it, but there's a risk and the likelyhood that it is likely to lead to a vapour lock. Also two litres in a tank full is quite a lot.

On the other hand a bit of two stroke would be fine. Personally, i'd use an additive to clean the injectors but do this at least one tank full before the MOT. Additives such as 2EHN will increase performance by creating double oxygen bonds and will assist cleaning the system, but you'll see an increase in some of the emission measures.

Last edited:
X2 on the 2 stroke oil as insurance for the IP against the new low sulphur diesel that's been forced on us. Injector cleaner's help clean out your wallet and that's all IMO.

Should have mentioned that if you are running alternative fuels 1500ppm acetone will help with the spray pattern. Might be good for a bit of a clean up too.

I can't tell the difference between derv and bio (dosed at 1000ppm Bioboost 1000), so I can't really tell the difference between derv and Bio, but using acetone seems to have made a bit of a difference on smoothness when accelerating hard.

Back