Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FZJ tacho issues - cause found/fixed

LC80_GXL

Country Flag
australia
I want to share this with other FZJ80 owners who maybe having tacho issues, the issue was found and fixed at virtually no cost (albeit my time, may hours!).

The tacho had started playing up after a visit to the top end (darwin) in july of this year, upon the return journey near Ali Curung, the tacho needle started flicking and slowly dropped off to zero, i had a quick look under the bonnet, everything looked ok and the engine was running sweet, so i kept going.
After i got home and unpacked the cruiser, i decided to dig in and try and find the issue, locating the correct wiring diagram was the first hurdle, but after some study the correct diagram was found.
The feed for the tacho orginates from the igniter, first thing was to check the igniter, which was ok, engine was running fine, no missfires, and no evidence of corrosion in the plug, so next was to check the integrity of the wiring from the igniter to the tacho, heres where things get weird, the resistance was fluctuating with the tach and igniter disconnected(open circuit), i failed to mention(at this point) that there is also noise filter and a feed to the diag connector, the later was ok, but the noise filter, which i had great difficulty finding was not ok.
Finding the noise filter proved to be a needle in the haystack scenario, the previous owner had obviously played around in the location where it should have been, and put it under the abs module(it should be just forward of the abs module adjacent to the battery compartment), anyway, unplugging the noise filter removed the fluctuating resistance and the circuit was open, and the cause was very obvious, moisture in the plug/socket of the filter.
Gave it a clean and cleaned the terminals with some mild acid(vinegar), tested the filter, reconnected with dialectric grease so the issue doesn't returen, and i bolted the filter in the correct location!

So if your tacho starts playing up, maybe check the noise filter plug for moisture and/or corrosion.

Attachments

• thumbnail_image0 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_image0 (1).jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 26
  • thumbnail_image0.jpg
    thumbnail_image0.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 25
  • thumbnail_image1.jpg
    thumbnail_image1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 23
Back