Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Greetings from rural Tanzania

rosenstok

Country Flag
tanzania
Hello everyone,

camping.jpg
Greetings from Haydom / Mbulu / Manyara / Tanzania! My wife and I are working at a local hospital for 2 years and about half a year ago purchased a Land Cruiser Prado KZJ95. It was imported from Japan in 2009 and had quite a tough life for the subsequent 3 years. When we bought it it was limping from lack of suspension and worn down tires but we've kissed it back to life in the past months to the point where it's eating up the Tanzanian roads like it never knew anything else! Although the Tanzanian roads also did some eating:
shock.jpg

We've had good fun with it and only got stuck once so far. An apparently dry river bed turned out to be quite muddy underneath the dry top layer. It took about an hour of digging and we lifted the car up with our high-lift jack to get some rocks under the wheels. The river bed by the way is where the road used to be - before flash floods washed it away.
stuck.jpg

So it's a KZJ95 TX, mods we did are a metal bullbar and rear bumper (incl spare tire mount with shovel) and a roofrack with second spare mount and high lift jack mount. All this was done in a typical Tanzanian workplace where you wouldn't believe they'd be able to deliver the work they do.

Its a 1KZ-TE engine with 140.000 km. The engine is in perfect condition and the mechanics seem sound as well (although we're always doing some repairs when we're back in the city).

This Easter we had a fantastic two days in Tarangire park with it, on back roads through long very muddy stretches. Lots of elephants and a few lions too!
tarangire.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Keep the photos and updates going, great to see.

Welcome! Great intro indeed! You can never have enough pictures ...

love the piccys, and that rear wheel carrier - more please ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the welcome! I'll get a close up of the rear wheel carrier- it's not the subtlest of solutions I'm sure ;)

Back