Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Greetings/Guidance needed!

Cruiser&Dagger

Country Flag
united_states
Greetings. I'm a long time admirer of the Land Cruiser and currently trying to choose which model I'm going to go with (more on that later). I'm an avid fisherman, biker and sports enthusiast currently living in the Washington DC area. I'm looking for a daily driver that's versatile, dependable and has a bit of character. I can't think of a better vehicle than a Land Cruiser. I've done quite a bit of traveling and have always admired the ruggedness Cruisers. All that said, I'm looking to spend about $30K on a cruiser (possibly less and use the rest for upgrades). The vehicle will be mostly for day to day driving but I want the versatility and the ability to go offroad on occasion (nothing extreme) and handling snow with ease. I'm attracted to the power of the new V8 but I don't like the amount of electronics the new models necessitate. I'd like to have something I can make my own without too many miles. I know it's probably a highly controversial question but which model should I be shooting for?

Anyway, good to meet you all. If anyone's in DC and wants to grab a beer and talk Land Cruisers I'll buy.

Hi C&D and welcome to this most friendly of forums. There's a whole lot of friendly helpful guys on here who will most likely be able to help you get a 'cruiser smile' on your face.

I think you probably don't need to worry too much about higher mileage cruisers, these things go on well into the 200,000 mile range and more depending on model.
It's probably going to boil down to what age, fuel and seat numbers you want, plus of course what one you really fancy owning. Then it's a case of getting a goodun which is the usual mix of service history and being genuine and unmolested.

I think you may struggle to find a newer model without too much electronics. The 80 series was where electronics just started creeping in and they are incredibly reliable if well maintained (often if not well maintained, but that's not advisable).

Then the trick is to take your time until you find the right one. I'm not sure on the rust situation of vehicles in DC, is it a problem? If so, lack of serious rust will be one of the main criteria for getting a good vehicle.

Looking forward to hearing more on your search and before too long seeing some photos of a 'new arrival'. [emoji4]

Best wishes

Richard

I feel the same about electronics fella and i reckon your best bet is to look towards Arizona or California (a dry State) for a well maintained pre 2002 truck , as has already been said mileage on a cruiser matters little if it been cared for .

Welcome to the forum C&D !

You seem to know your options on cruisers fairly well, so maybe no need to go into the various models too much.

Basic decisions first I suppose, petrol/diesel, manual/auto, but I guess it will be a petrol auto in the US, unless you want to go down the 40 series route...

Looking forward to your search updates....

Back