Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HDJ80R 4.2 Diesel 24VX UK Main Dealer Supplied New 1996

ChrisWright

Country Flag
uk
I have owned this car since new and have covered 204,000miles. Just recently the car wont start occasionally. It turns over perfectly but sounds like its immobilised. After waiting an hour or so it starts. On one occasion I waited overnight and it refused to start but then an our later it did. I am living in Spain now and use an excellent mechanic for servicing, ( he has contacts at the Toyota Concessionaires who also cannot diagnose older cars with their computer) and he is at a loss with this. We have tried to read codes using the jump wire in the diagnosis block but there is no Check Engine light on my dash only the preheat coil symbol flashes. My Spanish mechanic has asked me to try a fresh cut key to see if there is a hidden immobiliser faulty reader. A few years ago I had the Factory installed Toyota 5000System II taken out after an attempted theft left me unable to cancel the alarm and the original key remotes had become dodgy. The car has always been looked after and performed reliably until now. I am new here and cant seem to find a similar problem that i have unless I have missed it in the posts. I will let you know what the copy key comes up with and my mechanic is suspecting it could be a sticking fuel pump valve. I have also made him aware of the known 12v/24v CO Relay faults that I have read about here. Thank you all in advance. Chris.

I couldn't say it was your problem but on reading this i was reminded of my bent key , couldn't tell it was bent but getting a new one cut fixed the problem .

Thanks Shayne.
I have just had a key cut without a transponder as my mechanic wanted to see if the car immobiliser was working. Sure enough the car woudln't start with this key. The car then would not start with the original keys either. After disconnecting and reconnecting the batteries and then trying all the transponder keys again the car still would not start. After leaving all alone for 15 minutes it started. My mechanic thinks it is the black covered fuel pump cut off valve that is sticking. Tomorrow he is going to see if he can dismantle it but he is worried that it is installed with anti tamper security bolts.
I will keep you posted.

Back