Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello, new member here, 4.7 Amazon Owner with ride height problems humbly requesting advice

Mark In Africa

Country Flag
tanzania
Hi

My trusty Petrol Amazon now in it's 11th year on Tanzanian soil has finally started misbehaving. What goes up doesn't come down. I have no apparent damping at all and the ride is like a springless cart. The damn thing travels to the top of the suspension as soon as I start rolling. Pressing the height lowering button works when stationary but it reverts to the top ride height as soon as I start moving. My fundi [mechanic] who is also a Brit like me says that I need to renew the suspension spheres and I suspect I should renew the sensors too. Does any one know where I can source these parts ? and will they fit in my suitcase to take back to Dar ?
Any advice at all will be gratefully received. Thanks.

Here are 2 forum threads for you to read. Might need a couple of days :) to plough thru it all. It's a good start:

Sounds like you do have a sensor problem, yes. Btw, the condition of the spheres and the height adjustment is not connected though. It's the same system, but height adjustment cares only about pumping fluid until the sensors say that it's right, however much goes into the spheres (or not). While the condition of the spheres decides how comfortable the damping is, as long as the steel springs contribute with their part of the bargain.
If the AHC system is not set up properly according to your use/weights, and then maintained every second year or so, it will degrade over time until spheres and pump are overwhelmed. The height sensors will wear out over a maximum of about 10 years,

Spheres in suitcase might be stopped in security. They can be shipped if you do some homework. They are pressurised, yes; but with an inert gas, nitrogen. Impex Japan might be the best source.

SOUNDS LIKE IT HAS NOW COME THE INEVITABLE TIME TO BIN THE AHC SYSTEM AND REFIT YOUR TRUCK WITH A CONVENTIONAL SPRING KIT THEN ALL YOUR SUSPENSION PROBLEMS WILL BE ALL OVER FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE VEHICLE'S LIFE (END OF)
THIS IS (FREE) PROFESSIONAL ADVICE AND ONLY AVAILABLE TO THE CHOSEN FEW' FROM THE UNDISPUTED CRUISER KING !!

Don't listen to the Naysayers.
AHC is not a suspension problem. AHC / TEMS is a suspension system that surpasses any conventional suspension system in performance and comfort. The durability of the different parts is normally better than conventional suspension parts. The shocks (or rather hydraulic rams) will last for life, or until the rust eats them up. Wear parts are rear coils, height sensors and spheres, about 10 years lifespan on a well used car. All the adjustable damping valves and pump will last for the life of the car. It does need maintenance though, like any other suspension; change of fluid and adjustment of front springs.

For driving on roads, there is nothing better for a land cruiser. The worse the road, the better suited for AHC. But, if the purpose is to drive forrest tracks or rock climbing, I would consider changing to conventional, because the mechanical parts of the height sensors do add another possibility for failure, if sticks or rocks get jammed in the wrong place.

Cost of repairs can make a conversion kit seem cheap i guess . Long time since i looked but Pedders used to sell the kit

FINALLY, MOST OF THE SENSIBLE AND EDUCATED MEMBERS ON THIS SITE ARE NOW STARTING TO AGREE WITH THE (UNDESPUTED) CRUISER KING !!
35 YEARS IN THIS JOB SO I KNOW ALL THE ANSWERS !!
YES AHC IS THE BEST SUSPENSION SYSTEM IN THE WORLD WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT (IF MAINTAINED CORRECTLY)
BUT IT IS LIKE EVERYTHING THAT GETS OLD AND IS UNDERMAINTAINED !! (IT STARTS TO DETERIORATE)
THEN IT STARTS TO CAUSE ISSUES AND LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE (LAND CRUISER RELATED) CAN COST BIG MONEY TO FIX ££
SO THE SIMPLE ANSWER IS TO GET RID OF THE PROBLEM AND REPLACE IT WITH SOMETHING A LITTLE LESS COMPLICATED (IE) A CONVENTIONAL SPRING AND TORSION BAR SETUP (END OF)
MORE (FREE) PROFESSIONAL ADVICE IS ALWAYS AVAILABLE FOR (CERTAIN MEMBERS ONLY) ON THIS FORUM FROM THE KING HIMSELF

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back