Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help... removing ignition barrel housing

nathanrobo

Guys, your help please!

the cam rod in my ignition barrel has snapped. This happened on my previous V8 too, but I was lucky enough to be able to remove the broken cam! This time it's managed to wedge itself down into a void and nothing that I do seems to fish it out!

I've tried to remove the complete column but with the steering lock on I can rotate the steering to get access to two of the bolts on the steering knuckle near the floor, so seems like I'm going to have to remove the barrel housing. There are 2 security bolts with no heads, anyone any idea as to how to remove these?

it's kind of all too precarious to drill out without cocking up the angle!

You should be able to drill a small hole in the security bolts, then use a stud extractor to remove them... This is what I did on my 80 without difficulty (defn' looks worse than it is).

But - have you removed the barrel housing (move key to acc & press in the small ~3mm pin on the underside?)

Hi Justin

Thanks for that... Looks like I need to find my stud removers! The barrel itself is out which reveals the snapped cam rod! Still with the barrel out i can't seem to get the steering lock off. There's a lever inside that I've tried pushing to one side but that doesn't work.

I seems to me that making the cam out of cast ally is completely retarded... Anyway is there any reason that I shouldn't replace the silly security bolts with cap heads or something similar?

nathanrobo said:
Anyway is there any reason that I shouldn't replace the silly security bolts with cap heads or something similar?

Not really - any similar threaded bolt will 'work' but obviously there is an increase security risk... IMO plain bolts would be fine.

If anyone wanted to steal it, I can't see the steering lock putting up that much resistance!

I'd agree! It'll be standard bolts going back then! That'll save me a bit of time next time the cam bar goes :)

nathanrobo said:
I seems to me that making the cam out of cast ally is completely retarded...
I understand the replacement part is beefed up in the area the earlier ones are prone to snapping. I guess you've tried moving the steering wheel slightly to relieve pressure off the lock to free the cam?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi John

I drilled the bolts out in the end and got a mate (precision engineer to drill both parts and bond a pin in, which is what I did on my previous 100... lasted a couple of years.

Looking at toyodiy.com I could see the part listed separately and assumed that it came with the housing a nearly a thousand quid??

btw what's with the Audi?

Back