Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How do look at Co-ords on the net?

warrenpfo

I want to know where this is and was wondering why i cant search for it on google earth and find it?

S29.22067 E30.00504

Rework the coords as degrees minutes and seconds and it should work. Also some like the S or The E at the end instead of the beginning. can't remember which G Earth is.

This is where i show my ignorance.

would that be using ' and " or have i got it all wrong

Hi Warren,

I put those coordinates (used copy and paste) in Google Earth installed on my laptop and it took me to a flyover on the N3 just outside Bruntville in South Africa. The sat image is pretty clear and detailed - you can easiy see the vehicles on the road. Also looks like it is close to a toll booth??

cheers

Sorry i am using google maps not earth i though it was one and the same but i guess i need to install earth?

I just entered the same coords into google maps on the net and got the same junction. Dont know why yours is not working.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interesteing it now works, I tried it at least three times before and no luck. Perhaps the net was down.

Is it worth installing Google Earth or just keep going with maps?

I have never really compared. I tend to use Google Earth because you can load .gpx files which contain gps waypoints to show your track over the satellite image. Not sure you could do that on Google Maps.

Warren, the S coordinate is approx 29.222 degrees. 0.2222 x 60' is roughly 13' so the coord is 29deg13mins10seconds South. If you look on Earth it does show that. Sometimes the coord data needs to be entered in this format in devices and apps

Thanks Jon

I get how you got to the 13 mins but not the 10 seconds?

Back